My_Ref Fremen Edition - Collaborative DC-Servo design - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2014, 10:36 PM   #121
diyAudio Member

LM3886 My_refservo14.png

Simulation of the above schematic. Close to zero audio signal at the servo input. It takes 90 seconds to reach zero offset. Could this be correct?
Old 17th June 2014, 10:55 PM   #122
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Wow, Mark.. it seem to work too good to be true...
Old 20th June 2014, 05:15 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

I just found a circuit that you may find of interest on page 10 of this document,

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lme49610.pdf

It is basically the same concept only it is using a LME49610 as an output buffer for only +/-250ma.

FWIW

jer
Old 9th August 2014, 08:20 PM   #124
UnixMan is offline UnixMan  Europe
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to UnixMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinwell View Post
Hello,

one crazy idea: is there any experience of using of a capacitance multiplier in the audio signal path? It could be used instead of the branch C9-R10.
it is equivalent to the cap, thus not as much effective as a servo could be, but it's definitely a quite interesting idea!

Of course it's impossible to say in advance whether it would be better or worse than just a plain cap, especially sound wise.

A similar approach could be to remove C9 and use a gyrator (a virtual inductor, of large value) in parallel with the global feedback resistor (same effect: bringing down to unity the gain at DC).

Could be worth trying both.

Last edited by UnixMan; 9th August 2014 at 08:22 PM.
Old 9th August 2014, 08:37 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Back to the servo, the more I think about it the more I believe that the best place to inject the integrator output is between the 318 and the 3886, on one of the two inputs of the Howland Current Pump.

That would require much more (DC) gain by the integrator, but OTOH it would avoid interfering with the input differential.

Moreover, being in the middle of the overall NFB loop, any spurious signal (noise, etc) added by the servo will be drastically reduced by the NFB.

Though I wonder why Mauro have chosen a more conventional approach, acting on the input, for his own "Evolution" design...

Last edited by UnixMan; 9th August 2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10th August 2014, 07:52 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

Wouldn't a signal (also DC) injected between the 318 and LM3886 be removed by NFB?
Old 10th August 2014, 10:41 AM   #127
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Is the DC servo positive feedback?
The inverting input sees the injected error. this is inverted to become negative at the amp output.
Then inverted again in the servo and injected into -IN.
equals +ve feedback ??

Have I got too many invertings?
Old 10th August 2014, 12:53 PM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Whitney View Post
Wouldn't a signal (also DC) injected between the 318 and LM3886 be removed by NFB?
Yes. If the global NFB loop is active till DC (as it is here), the main NFB loop will try to restore any DC offset voltage present at input (times gain) at the output.

But the servo may be set up to have more gain (at DC) than the main loop, so that (at DC) it will "win".

In fact, by subtracting input village from the 3886, the servo will kill the "open loop" amp gain at DC (and subsonic frequencies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
Is the DC servo positive feedback?
No, of course it must be NFB.

The servo integrator must be inverting or non-inverting depending on the injection point (in this case, which "side" of the HCP).

(After all the servo is nothing else than another loop of negative feedback, acting only at near-zero frequencies, and having 0V instead of the input signal as its reference or "input" so to speak).
Old 10th August 2014, 01:27 PM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnixMan View Post
A similar approach could be to remove C9 and use a gyrator (a virtual inductor, of large value) in parallel with the global feedback resistor (same effect: bringing down to unity the gain at DC).
Interesting. I'm not familiar with a gyrator. Could you provide an example of point us to information on the gyrator?

Thanks in advance.
Old 10th August 2014, 03:08 PM   #130
bcmbob is offline bcmbob  United States
diyAudio Member

Mr. Elliot's take and the Wikipedia - Wow!!

Hide this!Advertise here!