Balanced LM3886 + UcD180 grounding - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2014, 03:04 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Balanced LM3886 + UcD180 grounding

Hi,

I'm on my way building "the only amp I'll need" and would be happy for some opinions and input about grounding and other things. Basically, I'm having the DacMagic Plus as DAC/pre and since it's got balanced XLR out I felt compelled to put together a power amp with balanced inputs. For that I'm planning to use INA128 (which seems to be INA137's brother and not as good suited to audio?) and a basic non-inverting LM3886 circuit. What I also have lying around is a Hypex UcD180 and a really huge and ugly 12"+15" sub box. So what I want to do is have a Linkwitz-Riley LP filter from the inputs to the UcD180 which is just gonna be sub out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Now, I've got most of the stuff planned and crammed into the case, but the actual grounding of the modules is where I'm kind of stuck. I've seen some examples and none seem to suit this thing.
* Where should I make the low current ground star?
* Where should the +-15V PSU circuit be grounded?
* At what end would I ground the shielded cables coming from the INA128 (two from each input, one to the LM and one to the UcD)?
* Is shielded cable even needed after that (probably not)?
* Is it ok to individually run a ground wire from the rectifier and each psu cap to the ground star?
* Will the small transformer interfere much with the LM3886's if they're placed between the inputs and that transformer?

Yes, I can and will experiment with this, but it takes such time to redo grounding and placement of stuff and there are a lot of variables here.

Thanks for any input!
Old 2nd June 2014, 12:02 PM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default Grounding

Audio Component Grounding and Interconnection - diyAudio
Old 2nd June 2014, 01:09 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, just what I needed! I've been browsing around for weeks but did not see this article. Great!
Old 2nd June 2014, 11:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Note that the XLR pin 1's go to the chassis not to the circuit ground (GND).
Old 3rd June 2014, 05:37 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Ah, yes, that "pin 1 problem" appeared to me as I read this article. However, since I have planned to not connect safety earth (chassis) to the audio ground so the PC won't pollute it, I don't see how connecting the XLR shield to the chassis would help.

Also, the preamp is not connected to the safety earth at all (powered by 2-prong wall wart) and then "floating". If I leave pin 1, the shield, unconnected at the power amp end, won't the reference then also be floating? That's why I thought that the receiving end should connect that shield to the audio ground star... a bit confused here...
Old 4th June 2014, 07:49 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

All exposed conductive parts should be connected to Chassis.
Old 4th June 2014, 08:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

It's a different problem. The pin 1 problem is al about not connecting the shield to the circuit common. The cable shield is an extension of the chassis shield. It's not part of the audio circuit/power supply ground star point.
Old 5th June 2014, 08:40 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Ok, I get the concept of letting the shield extend the chassis as only an EMI/RFI if its put that way. But now I've been reading the Rane notes (151) and it suggests to connect the signal ground to the chassis ground to "keep the signal ground potentials between units small" and show this diagram as you've probably seen before:

So far so good I guess. But since my DAC does not connect to safety earth and my power amp does, will that mean any specific problems or will it just mean that I should route the cable in the power amp connecting my signal ground star to the chassis ground (protective earth) way away from any low level audio signal wires to not get affected by potentially noisy ground currents being shunted to protective earth?
Old 6th June 2014, 09:15 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
All exposed conductive parts should be connected to Chassis.
Applies to all mains powered Class1 equipment.

BTW,
I like the post8 drawing.
It's the first time I have noticed the shield drawn as an extension to the enclosing Chassis.
It clearly shows that PIN1 only connects to Chassis.

Last edited by AndrewT; 6th June 2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 6th June 2014, 02:13 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes, every touchable conductive part will be connected to protective earth, I'm well aware of that. That will of course include the XLR jack housings too as they're directly in contact with the chassis and if I'm going with this shielding/grounding scheme, it looks most convenient to connect pin 1 and pin 4 together on the XLR connectors as pin 4 has direct contact with the chassis.

Your remark about that it clearly shows that pin 1 is only connected to the chassis... care to expand? What I see is that pin 1 current will go through the chassis, to chassis ground (protective earth) and to my signal ground. If a physical layout is not given, I might tie the two pin 1's, protective earth from the IEC socket, the chassis and signal ground all together in one point and it would still be schematically equivalent. So what's the difference here, that makes you say that pin 1 does not connect to signal ground? Is it because the pin 1 connection point in the chassis is closer to the protective earth than the signal ground is?

Basically I'm just not sure what to do with my currently "floating" signal ground star. Guess that's easy enough to experiment some with though...

Hide this!Advertise here!