Power Supply for the Audio Amplifier LM4880

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need to calculate the current that consumes my LM4880 audio amplifier, the datasheet indicates that this chip can deliver 250mWrms by channel.

The LM4880 will work with 5 VDC.

I don't know how to calculate the DC current that the amplifier will use.

Is this calculation correct: I = P/V = 0.250/5 = 0.05 = 50 mA (by channel)?

The output power is the sinusoidal wave rms power.

Datasheet: http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm4880.pdf

I want to know the current for selecting the correct power supply.

I'm using an 7805 power supply.

Regards.
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
Lima, Peru

allmost.
besides the output power, chips are not 100% efficient, and so consume a bit more than the output power.

a rule of thumb , that is no way bad to follow, is to choose a powersupply that is 2 times bigger than the sum of the outputs. in Your case,
it would mean 0.5 watt / channel.
supposedly the rails will not collapse if You calculate it like this.

You use a regulator, that is verry nice.
The regulator needs at least 7 volt input, and to be safe i would suggest something around 8-9 volts.

So, the powersupply would need to supply 8-9 volt DC, and least 100mA / channel.
I would not think You would find any traffo that would be so small,
so if i where you, i would go for a 9 volt wallwart type, rated at 9 Vdc, that is a common thing to come by, and will work nicely with the circuit.
Given this, for 0.5 watt power @ 5 volt You would need 100mA / channel.

allmost.
besides the output power, chips are not 100% efficient, and so consume a bit more than the output power.

a rule of thumb , that is no way bad to follow, is to choose a powersupply that is 2 times bigger than the sum of the outputs. in Your case,
it would mean 0.5 watt / channel.
supposedly the rails will not collapse if You calculate it like this.

You use a regulator, that is verry nice.
The regulator needs at least 7 volt input, and to be safe i would suggest something around 8-9 volts.

So, the powersupply would need to supply 8-9 volt DC, and least 100mA / channel.
I would not think You would find any traffo that would be so small,
so if i where you, i would go for a 9 volt wallwart type, rated at 9 Vdc, that is a common thing to come by, and will work nicely with the circuit.
Given this, for 0.5 watt power @ 5 volt You would need 100mA / channel.

Thank you for your help.

the absolute max Voltage is 6Vdc
The recommended maximum voltage is 5.5Vdc

If you run the chip from a regulated 5Vdc, then I suggest you add a ~5.5V trip to protect the chip from overvoltage.

The quiescent current is quoted as 6mA max. I don't know if this is per channel or per chip.
Does the datasheet clarify?

250mW into 8r0 is equivalent to 2Vpk and 250mApk into 8r0.

A 16ohms headphone or similar dynamic driver will draw peak currents approaching that same 250mApk per channel.

That means the capacitance after the regulator should be sized to provide at least a 500mApk transient capability. A 470uF 16V electro does not take up much space. Or maybe a pair of 470uF?

If you run the chip from a regulated 5Vdc, then I suggest you add a ~5.5V trip to protect the chip from overvoltage.

The quiescent current is quoted as 6mA max. I don't know if this is per channel or per chip.

A 16ohms headphone or similar dynamic driver will draw peak currents approaching that same 250mApk per channel.

That means the capacitance after the regulator should be sized to provide at least a 500mApk transient capability. A 470uF 16V electro does not take up much space. Or maybe a pair of 470uF?

Dear Andrew:

What formula did you use to convert 250mW to 250mApk ? (with 8 ohm load.)

I'm using a 100uF/25v electrolytic at the LM7805 IC.

Regards
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola

Can a 100uF capacitor provide 500mApk transient capability?

Is there a fomula to calculate the transient capability?

I'm using a Lm7805 regulator.

Regards.
Alfredo Mendiola Loyola
Lima, Peru

Yes, but not for long.
The transient will draw down the capacitor voltage at a rate determined by the current and the capacitance.

1 Farad will supply 1 Ampere and the voltage will drop by 1 volt every 1 second.
The rate of volts drop depends entirely on capacitance and current. No other complications.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.