Best Gainclone Design is? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2004, 09:24 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
I don't think it's such a big deal if two 1000u caps in parallel efectively give you 2000u. I think the type of caps is more important than the actual value, maybe 2000u instead of 1000u sound as good. But don't use 10,000u as it may sound less good

It is propbably better to place the caps as close to the chips as you can, but i never checked it out how important it is
Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it. - JC
Old 10th January 2004, 03:00 PM   #12
grataku is offline grataku  United States
diyAudio Member

the best gainclone design is...

no gainclone
Old 12th January 2004, 09:42 AM   #13
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Yesterday I saw a review of a Revox amp that uses TDA7294s. In the photos, the caps should be around 10.000uF (by the size). With a price tag of 6000 euros it should sound good...

Miguel
Old 12th January 2004, 10:06 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by miguel2
Yesterday I saw a review of a Revox amp that uses TDA7294s. With a price tag of 6000 euros it should sound good...

Miguel

come on Miguel, let's clone it. I am sure we can bring the price down to about US$ 200.00

Jean-Pierre
Old 12th January 2004, 10:16 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default humm

I made a stereo set, first try = great, had to sell it because my first guest wanted to take it home.

second set I had problems , turned out to be a problem with the ground! (thanks for the awesome assistance Gregc.

I just finished my third set again using the LM3875's some different brand of components in caps and resistors, but my ears don't want to go along I think, it seems no different in sound to me. One problem is that i cannot connect them to my 70's Epicure speakers = too sensitive, I can only regulate the volume within 1/4 of the track, and then the sound becomes tooooo loud. When using other speakers like Pioneer of Audax there is no problem

I have components for 3 more and then I am going to start new speakers with the Jordan X92S

Right now I am using transformers from Apex, one (200 VA) for both chips and hear no irregularities.
I must say that I was quite impressed the first time using them, There were noises from the recording coming out of the speakers that I had never heard before, expecially when listeing to live classical recordings.

Jean-Pierre

After that I am starting with the Lm3886 .....
Old 12th January 2004, 10:23 AM   #16
Luke is offline Luke  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Luke
Quote:
The best design is given in National's application notes. You can further improve it by playing with components, or even reducing the parts count. I would strongly recommend using around 1000u on rails, if you want the best mids and highs clarity.
Hi Peter,

is that the one on the LM3875 datsheet, top of the page, fig 1.
Is that really your preferrred clone?

cheers ab
Old 12th January 2004, 10:41 AM   #17
miguel2 is offline miguel2  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi Jean-Pierre

Quote:
come on Miguel, let's clone it. I am sure we can bring the price down to about US$ 200.00
It is a swiss made piece! That case should worth the 200 bucks... BTW, the review said it uses in the pre section OPA2134s. Man, I am using the OPA627s in my 50 bucks preamp... But the case looks very nice... and give it a break, it should sound nice.

Miguel
Old 12th January 2004, 12:20 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to JFETglare
The LM1875 sounds quite nice, and is capable of enough power to drive moderately efficient speakers to a loud level.

From what I've heard from the various "Overture" National ICs, the 1875 is more musical than the 3875 or 3886. Though all three are fine choices, the latter two are bit more neutral.
Old 12th January 2004, 12:22 PM   #19
Nuuk is offline Nuuk  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
One problem is that i cannot connect them to my 70's Epicure speakers = too sensitive, I can only regulate the volume within 1/4 of the track, and then the sound becomes tooooo loud.
I presume that this is with the inverted amp! Try building a stepped attenuator as shown on my Gainclone FAQ page.

Cost is about 10UKP, depending on which resistors you use. For a good sounding job, use matched carbon films for the series resistor and 1% metal films for the shunts.

Apart from sorting out the control problem, it sounds a lot better than a pot!
Old 12th January 2004, 12:28 PM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by miguel2
Yesterday I saw a review of a Revox amp that uses TDA7294s. In the photos, the caps should be around 10.000uF (by the size). With a price tag of 6000 euros it should sound good...

Miguel

I saw that too.
What bugs me is that the Revox is a 5 channel AV amp, with 5xTDA7294 and only a 300VA toroid.

Hide this!Advertise here!