parallel connection - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th January 2004, 12:09 PM   #1
rulezzz is offline rulezzz  Lithuania
diyAudio Member

Default parallel connection

What is the best parallel amplifier connection ?,please post image.
Old 9th January 2004, 04:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

it one way to connect them...

[edit]: i have used the resistors in blue (0.1R). they help share the load between the chips.
Attached Images
File Type: gif parrallel1.gif (9.6 KB, 1247 views)
Old 9th January 2004, 04:34 PM   #3
macboy is offline macboy  Canada
diyAudio Member

The 0.1 Ohm resistors are absolutely essential. It is also very important to use tight tolerance (1% or preferably 0.1%) gain-setting resistors and/or to hand-match the resistors (the 10k/220k resistors). This ensures that both/all amps have the exact same gain, so that their output voltages will track as closely as possible. Imagine the current that would flow from one amp straight into the other one if their output voltages were off by just 1 Volt: 1 V / 0.2 ohm = 5 Amps !!! Matching is very important in a parallel connection.
Old 9th January 2004, 05:04 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yap i see that it is not very easy to connect 2amps in parallel mode.The thing is that i have same 2 microshem and 4 ohm speaker.Maybe it would be easier to make bridge connection and on load near speaker put 4Ohm 10w resistor?What you think about this?
Old 9th January 2004, 07:10 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

No, bridging will not work into a 4 ohm load. And forget about putting a 4 ohm resistor in series with the speaker to make a 8 ohm load. Half of the output power would be wasted in the resistor, which completely eliminates any benefit of bridging in the first place.

Building a parallel amp is not really all that difficult. Even if you do not have access to 1% resistors, it is not difficult to measure several cheap 5% resistors to find two that are a close match.
Old 9th January 2004, 08:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to xplod1236
wouldn't this work?
Attached Images
File Type: gif parrallel1.gif (8.5 KB, 1147 views)
Old 9th January 2004, 08:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
wouldn't this work?
No.
This does not guarantee which amplifier IC is going to supply the current necessary to provide the desired output voltage. The amps will probably end up fighting against each other. Each amp must have its own feedback path and input resistance. It is the only way.
Old 9th January 2004, 09:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

one thing i want to ask if i put 10k resistor to the input of the amplifier do i need to connect straight to amp(like in chip amps before microshem input there is usualy one electrolithic capacitor or etc...) or to normal input (before capacitors or smth else where preamp is connected?
Old 9th January 2004, 09:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to officeboy
Quote:
Originally posted by macboy
No, bridging will not work into a 4 ohm load. And forget about putting a 4 ohm resistor in series with the speaker to make a 8 ohm load. Half of the output power would be wasted in the resistor, which completely eliminates any benefit of bridging in the first place.

Building a parallel amp is not really all that difficult. Even if you do not have access to 1% resistors, it is not difficult to measure several cheap 5% resistors to find two that are a close match.
Bridging into a 4ohm load would give each chip an 8ohm load to work with, (says national spreadsheet)
Either design is pretty easy, search for the file AN-1192.pdf on Nationals site for some great simple plans of both bridged and parallel amp circuits.
Old 9th January 2004, 10:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

what preamp should i use because those 10K resistor can realy lower a lot my input

Hide this!Advertise here!