Amps for PC Speakers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2014, 04:11 AM   #21
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Antonio, I guess what I'm emphasising is trying to understand why the sound isn't up to scratch in certain areas, rather than willy nilly just changing things in the hope that that will set things right. Of course the latter approach may solve it, but I have always never replaced a part with a "better" part, this may give marginal changes at times but what I'm after has always been achieved through significant redoing of the "engineering" or the implementation of the component.

As a very, very rough rule of thumb, unless what I'm doing is going to make something 10 times better in some way, I wouldn't really worry about it.

I tend not to rush at things - I take my time, play with the ideas in my mind for a while, fiddle at length until a clear, almost certainty about some issue or procedure takes shape - and then I do what's needed, with minimum fuss. Each of us will have their own ways, but I find this works very well for me ...

Edit: ... or, put it this way - in the story of the Tortoise and the Hare, I'm most definitely in the former slot - and just recall the ending ...

Last edited by fas42; 18th May 2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 18th May 2014, 10:28 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Frank,
Wise words from the man with experience, now I’m hesitant to what needs to be done besides maybe the PS, let me splain.

Last night was a long one in front of the pc and music was in order, so called Sara Brightman to play (from youtube) RARE a performance collection by Micky Sandoval in 2 CD’s for more than 4 hours and the reproduction from the speakers was almost impeccable, no peak at mids from the soprano, and no overload perceived over this type of music played at normal level.

All this seems to bring me to the conclusion that a precondition is needed for a more serious listening session even thou the system remains ON 24/7 - I recall you mentioned something on this regard before?

In the other hand the speakers have remain boxed most of the time since they were bought about 3 years ago so they must have about a 100 hours of real use so they could need some more break-in time.

Antonio
Old 18th May 2014, 10:59 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Yes, you've nailed it - preconditioning is the key, especially with relatively cheap gear it should be considered an essential. What I would expect from expensive equipment, in fact I would demand it, is that say 5 minutes after turn on it's working close to optimum - otherwise, what am I paying the money for?! .

At the moment I'm doing that very thing, going to try for a recording - and the trick is to drive the system as hard as you're game, with as raucous as a waveform as you feel up to, for an hour or two - every time you want to seriously listen. The drivers need to be hammered hard, if they're half reasonable they'll steadily lift their game the longer you do this, you're stretching the 'sinews' of the suspensions - and you're forcing the chip amp, PS and all cap's to work under stress, bringing them to life. I use hard driving rock, blues, piano jazz - Oscar Petersen on at the moment - or a classic piece that takes no prisoners, anything with lots of very strong treble content is ideal. Typically the treble will steadily improve, and soundstaging and depth will constantly expand.

The idea is not to have things obviously distorting during this, but to be just under that level - if it works well, you should be able to steadily increase the volume without problems, in fact, you'll want to ...

Last edited by fas42; 18th May 2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 19th May 2014, 12:16 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Antonio, you might be interested - I did some dummy recording runs on my PC setup, links are here, last comment in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs...-speakers.html. They do a reasonable job of conveying some of the sense of the sound - sorry, but they're pop, classical in the next round ... .
Old 19th May 2014, 12:49 PM   #25
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Have you had any recordings from your PC speakers yet, Frank? I am flying to Spain, tomorrow, so now is my last chance
Old 19th May 2014, 12:59 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Timing is everything, Pavel! I tried this morning and stupid software problems got in the way, ran out of time - however, as mentioned in my previous post here, I've got some pop recordings up, to give an idea. Caveats: recording device is very basic, I have zero recording technique - see if you get anything out of them!
Old 19th May 2014, 01:11 PM   #27
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
diyAudio Member

Got it.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y918d183r.../SamButera.wav

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/y918d183r...MachineGun.wav

You must be joking, Frankie .....

The resulting sound is like 6 - transistor pocket Japanese radio from sixties

A mix of PC speaker sound + mediocre microphone technique. It is difficult to consider your post seriously.
Old 19th May 2014, 05:00 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Had a look at the spec sheet on these since I was curious. There must be a large amount of EQ going on for the front speakers to claim 100hz from a 2.5 inch speaker in such a tiny enclosure. You may find that no matter how many upgrades you do the overall tonal response simply will not change because of the "sound shaping" that has been built into the design.
Old 19th May 2014, 05:25 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Spec from which speakers?
Old 19th May 2014, 06:57 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I've had plenty of plays with cheap active speakers - take a look at some of the older posts on my blog (link over to the left). I started out by improving the grounding - rigorously imposing star earthing and separating out power grounds from signal ones.

Since then I've learned a bit about power supplies, so I'd move on to that, replace single reservoir caps with CLCLC (filtered) arrays of caps.
In your experience then using CLC filtering on rails on non-class A chipamps is a safe arrangement?

Antonio

Last edited by apassgear; 19th May 2014 at 07:01 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!