Amps for PC Speakers - Page 21 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2014, 09:57 PM   #201
diyAudio Member

Yess, there is a need for a switch. and it goes from pin 11 to V+.
not GND.

If You power on that powersupply, it may for a very short time while powering up exceed 18 volts. if the mute/standby/play pin is tied to V+ (even via cap+resistor) it can happen that You instantly kill the chip. Spikes can happen. And will.
Old 15th June 2014, 10:24 PM   #202
fas42 is online now fas42  Australia
diyAudio Member

Antonio, I would not be happy running the caps that close to their rating; a much bigger margin is more my style ...
Old 15th June 2014, 11:49 PM   #203
diyAudio Member

Ok so in one position connected to V+ and open on the other for stand by so I won’t need a power switch which at this moment of development is a plus.

Good advice, thks
Old 16th June 2014, 12:21 AM   #204
diyAudio Member

Though it wasn’t the initial goal I’m doing a separate amp for the satellites since it won’t fit inside the original box which includes transformer electronics plus the woofer even for the smaller pcb I did before was going to be a hazel to have it almost touching the speaker and trafo.

Now we will have a 60 VA EI transformer, diode bridge with 10mF first smoothing a small choke and 2x 2.2mF plus one 270u Oscon at each power feed for decoupling.

Yes Frank, 15V sounds too close, need to continue adjusting the secondary to get around 14V DC at the amp feed point.
Old 16th June 2014, 04:22 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

use a diode in series on V+ and it will drop enough to be safe.
Old 17th June 2014, 12:41 AM   #206
diyAudio Member

Yes Arty, that will do but prefer it the hard way. That transformer has been set to different voltages in the past so one more time won’t hurt and it’s easy to do on an EI type with separate primary and secondary windings.

Antonio
Old 19th June 2014, 10:54 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

Quite happy with how everything is coming up with the new build, in fact almost finish, missing da switch for the mute/stand-by. The supply was tested 2 days ago and ready to go at 14.3V with no load, and sagged to 12.8V @ 2.5A with R load.

So we might be hearing some music tomorrow...

Last edited by apassgear; 19th June 2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 20th June 2014, 09:27 PM   #208
diyAudio Member

that seems nice, can't wait to hear Your opinion about the amp it self, once it is finished

then we can get to some tweeking.
Old 21st June 2014, 03:56 AM   #209
diyAudio Member

In a few moments I will start testing this small amp but in the meanwhile Arty what’s the deal with pin 12 (V ref)?

On page 4 c. paragraph of the Philips spec sheet says that harmonic distortion on low freq can be decreased if two diodes are connected to gnd from pin 12.

Then on page 7 note 8 says that ripple rejection can be dropped by 7dB, again if the 2 diodes are connected to gnd from same pin.

It’s an easy addition those 2 diodes to gain in HD and RR, my question would be if these diodes are connected in parallel in reverse polarity? The spec sheet doesn’t give a clue as far as I have seen.

Looking forward to tweaking tips!

Antonio
Old 21st June 2014, 04:34 AM   #210
diyAudio Member

This time around test went smoothly. One side has less than 1 mV the other has 24 mV which is well within spec, in mute position is near 0 mV but didn’t record the number. Test was done with grounded source (0 Ohms) at the input and open outputs (no load).

Need to add a bleed resistor at the supply, those caps are really good they maintain the voltage for hours.

Next will be some

Antonio

Last edited by apassgear; 21st June 2014 at 04:36 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!