Jims Audio LM4780 Schematic or advice?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In order to get the mute to work I would need a switch of some kind right? If I understand correctly, the data sheet has v- > resistor > switch > mute pins

In order to get the mute to work I would need a switch of some kind right? If I understand correctly, the data sheet has v- > resistor > switch > mute pins
Correct!
Been using these cases Audio power amplifier case chassis enclousure diy heat dissipation UK stock | eBay
UK Seller, so quick despatch, and cheap!(ish)

Andrew, in your opinion, would the above LED light up or is it a disaster?
A LED indicator light will work with just a resistor to limit the current and set the brightness.

If I am using a LED indicator light for a PSU that supplies a single voltage, then I am interested in when the nearly correct voltage is present on the supply rails.

I do this by using a series combination of resistor, Zener and LED.
eg.
30Vdc supply: using 24V Zener + 1.9V green LED + 2k resistor
This passes [30V - 1.9V - 24V] / 2k ~ 2mA
At 33V it will pass ~ 3.5mA, noticeably brighter.
At 26V it will pass ~ 0.2mA, almost off.

This can be used across a dual DC supply to indicate when one supply is OFF or very low and can be doubled up to show LED for each half of the supply.

As for bridging LM4780, there's 2 of 65W cores.
2 * 65 = 130
So, I get the Overture Design Guide spreadsheet out to find out what transformer voltages to use for not exceeding 130W total.
For bridged LM4780, that's an 18+18vac transformer if 8 ohm speakers or a 13.5+13.5vac transformer if 4 ohm speakers.

Easy bridge or "simple bridge" is suitable for a subwoofer amplifier; however, you might want a better performing bridge adapter circuit (looks like a little preamp) if using it full bandwidth.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/chip-amps/49414-lm3886-gc-simplest-ever-amplifier-bridging.html

P.S.
An alternative option for approaching 130W is a parallel amplifier, with 25+25vac transformer, and 4 ohm speakers. Paralleling cuts the load (per core) in half, thereby improving linearity and preserving audio quality. So, that is something to consider whenever 4 ohm speakers are used.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.