62V chip amp / need help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello everyone,

few years ago I built an amplifier and it didn't work, I checked everything, shematic, PCB, made new one with new components and it still didn't work (many claimed that shematic was fine). I gave up.

Now that I have some parts left I could use them to build another amplifier, I decided I'd use chip amp and power transistors to get some power. So what I'm asking is some simple shematic or link to project, something that works, because I don't want to screw this up.
Power supply from last amplifier is 400VA, 62V-0--62V DC. Problem appears in finding chip amp which could handle such a voltage.

Can someone tell me what should I do? Could I reduce voltage somehow and use low power chip amp + power transistors or is there any chip amp which could handle +/-62v? I wouldn't care if that chip would give only 100W, but I wouldn't go lower than that. Also, I don't care about speakers it would drive or if it is mono/stereo. I just don't want this PS to collect dust. Any help is highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks for your help. I don't think solution could be reducing main voltage in my case, but searching for lme49810 brought me to ebay. There I found complete kit, already soldered on board, that seems it could handle voltage of 62V, it produces 300w of power, guessing RMS, so it is powerful as the one I failed at building before.

Now, I am quite a noob here and I don't know if my PS would be "compatible" with this amp. This is because in description it says "Power mode: dual power mode, the voltage drive and current power output level to separate power supply."
Also, on picture I can see some V- and V- pins together with +/-Vcc.
Here is link to item and picture:
ebay amp link

Pic: Amplifier picture

mmm well, the thing is right now it makes no difference if it would work or not.
You have failed for unknown reason to make an amp based on a correct schematic.
So, most probably if you want some joy, you should try something less complicated by design. I if i was you, would shoot for a minimalistic chipmap. An car radio amp by default is very forgiving, and is literally fool proof.
for powering, 3x 4.5 volt rated dry battery in series will be just fine for many-many hours.
nope, that is not the amp You want in the end, but to get there, there is a path that one must take first.
The nextone would be a gainclone -ish type, lm1876 or tda2052 or alike.
Them, when you did experiment, and did learn from the projects, should you only try even more complicated stuff.

by default, one should be able to wire up a pre-made kit, but knowledge is needed even for that. and certain set of skills, and understanding what the pins do, why they do.
You may end up with a bad experience again if you just try to do something complicated, a bad taste in the mouth is not really the best.

from one point of view, an assembled kit may seem promising, but in reality sometimes it would be harder to trouble shoot than say.. a clumsy home made point to point chipamp with minimal parts count.
other than that +- 62 volts is in the region of danger, not to mention the main's side.

please, consider an other prject, that does not involve high voltage, or main's voltage.
a dry cell if very forgiving to mistakes, 13,5 volt single supply is quite safe to fool around with.
but even so, proper grounding, proper connection of connectors -like twisting the wires, and so on- practices that are mandatory for bigger projects are in need of development on Your side. it would be quite logical to play with something inexpensive, forgiving of errors/mistakes/ experiments, and contains no lethal voltage/current.

this is my best advice for You.
not pointing a gun at your head and forcing You to take it, but i do hope You are going to take it.

I'm not that kind of noob, because since I was kid, I loved working with electricity.
In school they taught us how to make basic amp with one transistor, few of them.
My soldering skills are pretty much good. I built few headphone amps, car amps, portable amp that run on batteries.
So I knew what I was going into.

Amp that didn't work I gave to some guys that had more experience in building amp, and they couldn't figure out what was wrong.
When building it, I had enough documentation to follow, how to test it and configure it. After few attempts on rebuilding it, I gave up.
I went to same shop to buy new components for it, so that may be a problem, but since I can't just throw my money on something
that may or may not work, I decided to build amp which could be simpler, and chip amps usually are simpler.

Another option is to try, and hopefully succeed in rebuilding same amp, but if I find someone willing to check schematic and PCB to be 100% sure it works.

Last edited:
I've got: transformer, rectifier, smoothing capacitors. I'll just post shematic of it.

Attachments

• Power Supply.jpg
    Power Supply.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 172
I found example which is similar to one I'd like to buy on ebay. It uses LME49810 and it uses separate power supplies. That worries me. After some thinking and researching I believe that I should buy another transformer, and make power supply +-67V DC, about 15-20W, it shouldn't be that expensive. Another problem is that they recommend 55V for output stage and I have 62V.

I found it here in link below.
EXAMPLE

"The reason why two different supply voltage values were chosen, is that Amplifier Driver IC to be able to provide enough voltage excursion for Power stage, to avoid early clipping and saturation of the amplifier."

-I copied that from example.

Couple of comments that I don't want to distract you with. Your transformer is a nice hunk of iron. Its a design choice where you want to put your weak link. For example a it is valid to use an amp that requires more transformer to reach its maximum power output because you can always switch transformers at a later date.

That being said, IMO a better match for your system 'so far' may be one of the LM4702 kits on eBay. I have no experience with any of those particular kits so I can't recommend one over another. There are two basic flavors of LM4702, 150V and 200V differential power supply so your 124V would be well within its limits.

I've done some searching on those lm4702 based amps and I have not found something that suits me or description was so badly written that I couldn't get any of it. But thanks anyway. Your suggestion led me to something else :)

Could someone check out this item on ebay. It fits pefrectly to my Power Supply. Is it worth buying it? *LINK*

There are 2 pcs but my PS can handle only one. Could use other one as a backup plan :)

Last edited:
I've done some searching on those lm4702 based amps and I have not found something that suits me or description was so badly written that I couldn't get any of it. But thanks anyway. Your suggestion led me to something else :)

Could someone check out this item on ebay. It fits pefrectly to my Power Supply. Is it worth buying it? *LINK*

There are 2 pcs but my PS can handle only one. Could use other one as a backup plan :)
I have looked at your link.
I can't find any reference to nor can I see any chip on this amplifier.

A completed amplifier coming from China is very likely to have fake components incorporated into the assembly.
Check what costs come back to you if it breaks in normal use.

All I could find is 2 posts on this forum. Some guy stated that he designed it. Other one is someone else checking if this amp is, well, good. Also I saw you commented there same thing about not finding any reference :/

When you say fake components, do you mean power output components or most of components? Because if only power transistors are fake, I could just replace them.

And since I'm considering buying assembled amplifier, I don't think it would matter if it is chip based one or not. Chip is only to simplify everything in case I build it myself.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.