Gonna "bust a cap" in my LM3875.. What size cap? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th May 2014, 02:57 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Two tiers here, each with 91 4700uF/25V caps, total is around 800,000uF.

Lots of small caps in parallel beats fewer big ones for ESR.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010101.JPG (66.8 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by abraxalito; 8th May 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 8th May 2014, 03:11 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

blimming heck, that is impressive.. It reminds of this..

Click the image to open in full size.

May I ask what are the advantages of so many caps?
Old 8th May 2014, 03:16 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Well I don't know yet in regards to my chipamps. For my DAC it really makes a difference to the low frequency ambience retrieval. I hear further into a recording's acoustic space. As my DAC runs from a lower voltage I've been using more caps than I've shown here - I'm currently between 1 and 2F, using 6.3V caps.
Old 8th May 2014, 05:18 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Impedance to anything other than DC is very high with so much capacitance.
Other possibilities include:
PSU > K-Multiplier > Regulator > DAC
or
PSU > Tracking Pre-Regulator (simple "nested regs") > Amplifier
The "tracking pre-regulator" is the secret on how to get the high current regs to sound good.
These active alternatives aren't nearly as bulky as giant cap banks; however, there is some heat output from the regulators.
Old 9th May 2014, 09:50 AM   #15
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The cap bank gives out heat as well.
You are pumping in lots of hum energy and almost none comes out as electrical energy.
The caps emit it as heat.
Old 14th May 2014, 07:48 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Well, the regs are easier than an incredibly bulky cap bank.

Here's some information on regulated power for the amplifier:
Building an LM3886 Gainclone chip amp with a regulated power supply (PSU).
and
Pedja Rogic Audio Pages - Chip Based Power Amp i.e. Gainclone - Regulated Supplies

Note that the above maybe could be more entertaining if using twice the number of regulators, a pair of regulators for left and a pair of regulators for right (dual mono with only one transformer).
Old 14th May 2014, 08:10 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

There's a simpler unregulated option in the attachment below.

Here are some notes for Audiosector.com and Chipamp.com amplifiers when used with the power supply attached.
Amp hookup: The power supply 0v hooks to amplifier board common ground, "CG" via (the PG vias are Not used at all).
Speaker negative hookup: From speaker jack, the speaker negative attaches to the power supply 0v, not the amplifier board (amplifier board speaker negative is not used).
Power supply cap options: The pair of 6800u can be swapped for either a pair of 10000u or 5x3300u (per rail).
Board options: This can be fabricated easily with 14ga solid copper wire for the rails and some copperless phenolic perfboard.
Attached Images
File Type: gif CRDC_Power_Virtural Dual Mono_D-C.gif (33.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 16th May 2014, 11:08 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

The schematic does not indicate board layout.
Old 17th May 2014, 11:04 PM   #19
frank1 is offline frank1  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
The great audio capacitor myth : 'There's such a thing as too many PSU caps'.
No, but there IS the law of "Diminishing returns".

Frank.
Old 18th May 2014, 05:00 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

It actually takes that many caps to approach the performance of "tracking pre regulator" (aka nested regs). The task is a lot more difficult with just a lotta caps, but yet doable, costs more and really bulky.

Hide this!Advertise here!