Can I use an LM386 Module to double the volume from an RCA audio output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi there,

I have limited knowledge when it comes to electronics, but enough to put together a basic project. Any help with my question would be greatly appreciated.

The project I'm embarking on is this: I intend to double the volume of an output (mono RCA from an old 1980s video camera) via a small amplifier, so that I can monitor the audio via a set of headphones as well as keep the same strength continuing on another line. The destination of this line from the camera will be a battery powered portable recording device, which weirdly but conveniently has a 2.2mm 5v 500ma power output cable. I intend to use this to power the amplifier.

My goal here is also to spend as little on the project as possible, which has led me to consider purchasing an LM386 module, listed here: http://r.ebay.com/ipJfVz
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...io01-20&ipn=psmain&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg and use this as the amplifier - splitting the output to two different lines. One for headphones and the other for the audio out.

The order of the proposed system will be:
VIDEO CAMERA'S AUDIO OUT > LM386 MODULE (AMP WHICH CAN HOPEFULLY BE POWERED BY 5V 500ma) > HEADPHONES AND RECORDING DEVICE

The questions I have are:

1. is my power output from the portable recording device 5v 500ma too small or too great to run the LM386 module? If so, how could I deal with this to still use the power output from the recording device?

2. Where would I connect the female 2.2mm socket to on the LM386 device? I see GND GND IN and LINE labels on the unit, but aren't really clear on what these are indicating in relation to my audio input and power. Output from the unit appears clear enough.

As I said, any help would be greatly appreciated as it's early stages of the project and I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.