Can I use an LM386 Module to double the volume from an RCA audio output? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2014, 07:00 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can I use an LM386 Module to double the volume from an RCA audio output?

Hi there,

I have limited knowledge when it comes to electronics, but enough to put together a basic project. Any help with my question would be greatly appreciated.

The project I'm embarking on is this: I intend to double the volume of an output (mono RCA from an old 1980s video camera) via a small amplifier, so that I can monitor the audio via a set of headphones as well as keep the same strength continuing on another line. The destination of this line from the camera will be a battery powered portable recording device, which weirdly but conveniently has a 2.2mm 5v 500ma power output cable. I intend to use this to power the amplifier.

My goal here is also to spend as little on the project as possible, which has led me to consider purchasing an LM386 module, listed here: http://r.ebay.com/ipJfVz
and use this as the amplifier - splitting the output to two different lines. One for headphones and the other for the audio out.

The order of the proposed system will be:
VIDEO CAMERA'S AUDIO OUT > LM386 MODULE (AMP WHICH CAN HOPEFULLY BE POWERED BY 5V 500ma) > HEADPHONES AND RECORDING DEVICE

The questions I have are:

1. is my power output from the portable recording device 5v 500ma too small or too great to run the LM386 module? If so, how could I deal with this to still use the power output from the recording device?

2. Where would I connect the female 2.2mm socket to on the LM386 device? I see GND GND IN and LINE labels on the unit, but aren't really clear on what these are indicating in relation to my audio input and power. Output from the unit appears clear enough.

As I said, any help would be greatly appreciated as it's early stages of the project and I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks

Last edited by trakaudio; 27th April 2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Fixed broken link
Old 30th April 2014, 03:13 PM   #2
udok is offline udok  Austria
diyAudio Member

The data sheet of the LM386 says that the amplification is greater than 20. I don't know the chip and the the ebay link does not work anymore.
Perhaps it is better to build a discrete OPV circuit to do the gain amplification.
Udo
Old 1st May 2014, 05:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You could do searches for "CMOY" projects.

Hide this!Advertise here!