Loving the AudioSector LM3875 - What next for "better" Sound Quality??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just built my first amp with tremendous help from these forums - thank you all..

I am loving the sound and clarity of this wonderful little amp. The KIT from Peter @ Audio Sector is ace, quality components and ace sound.

So, now that I have taken the "RED PILL" of chipamps. Whats the next stage in this chip amp "rabbit hole"? I do not need a lot of power (mostly listen at around 80dB max on 90dB sensitive speakers). Is there any other chip that is "better" in sound quality? (mind you, the LM3875 is already great)..

I think Audio Sector have added comment (in their Web site) about introducing smoothing capacitors to the PSU.

His original versions did not use any and he confirmed it make great Middle and Treble at the expense of limited bass performance, even into his 95dB speakers.

So, now that I have taken the "RED PILL" of chipamps. Whats the next stage in this chip amp "rabbit hole"? I do not need a lot of power (mostly listen at around 80dB max on 90dB sensitive speakers). Is there any other chip that is "better" in sound quality? (mind you, the LM3875 is already great)..

In my experience, TDA8566 can sound better than LM38xx, provided the power supply is up to snuff (enough caps) and the layout's not messed up. The input's differential and there's a separate signal ground from power ground. Also it's bridged meaning easier to get an optimal grounding scheme. As you don't need more than a few watts, it'll suit you fine.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Where would I add such caps? Is this on the rectifier? Any pics?

The Peter Daniel chipamp PSU boards are all ready made for it --

DSCF0353.jpg

Although not visible in this photo, there are holes for 10mm lead 'snap-in' caps. I don't know exactly what the max diameter of the caps can be, but it's large, perhaps 30-35mm

I am UK, 240v..

here are some pics of the kit I am working with:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Use these. You may need to increase the size of your mains fuse if the inrush is popping it. Or use a time-delay (Slow-Blow) fuse.

ECOS1VA103CA - PANASONIC - CAP, ALU ELEC, 10000UF, 35V, SNAP | Farnell UK

As for what to do next, I suggest a discrete design, Aleph J, F5, BA-3, Etc... there is no 'better' sounding chipamp, they all have a very distinct character that is the chip, and essentially nothing you can do to it will ever make it sound like anything else than a chipamp. (Which isn't bad at all, just that they sound like what they are.) Any of the Pass/Firstwatt amps are only one level higher on the difficulty scale, and with a successful chipamp under your belt, you have enough understanding to be successful with a more complex build. Look at any (or all) of the guides in my signature for more info.

Last edited:
Hi,

If you have built a good chip amp there is nowhere else to go.
Significantly more power perhaps, but not in any sense quality.

Rod Elliots "Death of Zen" is a good place to go if your after
intrinsically better sound quality rather than power IMHO.

rgds, sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.