TDA8560 or LM3886 or TA2024 ? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th April 2014, 02:52 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default TDA8560 or LM3886 or TA2024 ?

Hi, Im building my first portable bluetooth boombox. Can you help me choose what is the best amp for me?

I have the following objectives in mind
  • Uncompromised bass
  • Hi-Fi
  • Bluetooth capable
  • tone controller
  • Battery Efficient

I heard that TA2024 from tripath sounds good and battery efficient but it is capable only of 15W of power. However if I use TDA8560 or LM3886 with a high power output It might not be battery efficient (i will only use a rechargeable 12V battery from an RC car). So which one is suited for my needs or is there a better amp chip than those 3? Thank you !
~I havent bought the speaker yet but im planning to use 2x100-150W woofer speaker and 2 full range speaker.
Old 11th April 2014, 04:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

TDA8560 is your best bet for 12 volt operation. LM3886 isn't going to cut it on 12 volts unless you use a switching supply to step up the voltage.

I would be looking at some digital chip amps.

How long can your battery supply 5-10 amps without the voltage sagging? I don't think you've really thought this out.

You're just not going to get hi fi, and you're not going to be able to play it loud for very long. Everything is going to be a tradeoff and if you work this out you will find out just how hard it can be to beat commercially available portable Bluetooth speakers.

I recommend that you look at the Boominator thread here. Maybe you'll get some ideas that appeal to you.
Old 12th April 2014, 02:40 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi, I've read the boominator thread and the boominator is so amazing. Since I dont have enough budget for the full boominator speaker. What amplifier would you recommend if I will only use half of the boominator ( no back speaker ) and use a 12 Volts 7Ah SLA. I saw some ppl use the TA2020 and TA2024.
Old 13th April 2014, 05:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I've never used those products but they are a logical choice for battery operation. You're really pretty limited by your choice of power supply and the engineers have done all the heavy lifting for you already.

It's most likely cheaper than rolling your own, too.
Old 13th April 2014, 05:29 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

By the way, the most important feature of a good mobile sound system is efficient speakers. Efficient speakers require less power to drive them. Choosing speakers with 3 dB more efficiency is equivalent to doubling amplifier power. Think about that.

Car speakers are the logical choice because there are many models with efficiencies of over 90 dB. They are usually 4 ohm which is what you need to get the rated power from the tripath amplifiers.
Old 14th April 2014, 10:39 AM   #6
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I thought car speakers were generally of lowish efficiency.
Old 14th April 2014, 08:14 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

yup, car speakers are not really efficient.
I'd try a high efficiency full range driver instead. (non-car speaker.)
and choose TA2024. should work well.

Hide this!Advertise here!