TDA1514a amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Now that I know what a "gainclone" is (tacky name!) I can tell people of my own experiances of building some several years ago.
I used the TDA 1514A to build one for a friend and one for myself,
they were built directly onto the heatsink with all earths going directly to the sink via solder tags and self tapers to give super direct earthing and other components directly between the pins of the chips and ran at a rather high +30 & -30 volts. The results ?, stunning!, one of the best amps I have ever heard at any price, later versions I built using more normal construction methods and much bigger supplies failed to deliver, they sounded slightly thin and leaden but still better than many budget amps.
As this chip is no longer made can any members tell mehow they think the National LM series compares to the philips chip. I have used the LM's at work for public address amps but never tried them (yet!) for HI-FI.

Jez.

Hi Jez,

No first hand experience but from the datasheets it looks like the lm series have much better PSRR and somewhat better S/N ratios than the tda1514a. It's difficult to make a good comparison because of the differences in testing methods and also the philips datasheet is pretty summary.

Hope this helps

I built a couple of the Maplin 1514A kits donkey's years ago, very nice amp from the bit of testing I did but since only used in a PA system with limited range outdoor speakers. I'm going to try some Gaincloney techniques on it (shorter paths, better caps), see how it goes as a house amp. :)

Interestingly, Maplin were saying then (1990) the 2000uF per rail on-board smoothing provided was adequate for a rectified-only supply. And they weren't even the ubiquitous Pano FC... ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.