Need a recommendation for an IC amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking for a good quality single or two channel IC (single channel IC may be better suited) that can run on a +/-25 to +/-30v supply. Minimal external components would be ideal.

I'd be fine with a pre-built ebay board if someone knows a good one.

I have a nice toroid transformer to use on a project and need a small amp for my computer to power some bookshelf speakers.

TDA2050? LM3886? others?

Last edited:
you shouldn't use an LM1875 or TDA2050 at +/-25V rails if your speakers average impedance is rated at 6ohms - as the speakers actual impedance can drop to 4ohms. This would draw much more current than each of these little chips can deliver at this voltage.

I would recommend you use an LM3886 or LM3875. These chips will happily drive your speakers at the voltages you quoted.

The mute function on the 3886 means there's no turn-on transient. I like that a lot. Also, a chipamp will have tighter coupling between the output devices and the temp sensing circuit, so reliability and minimization of crossover distortion is likely better than with a discrete design. I'm not saying chipamps are necessarily better than any discrete design, just that I wouldn't rule them out.

The mute function on the 3886 means there's no turn-on transient. I like that a lot. Also, a chipamp will have tighter coupling between the output devices and the temp sensing circuit, so reliability and minimization of crossover distortion is likely better than with a discrete design. I'm not saying chipamps are necessarily better than any discrete design, just that I wouldn't rule them out.

The TDA7294 also has a mute function, it appears that you can use it in a similar way to the LM3886 mute pin.

lazzer408 will you be buying a kit or designing your own circuit?

The TDA7294 also has a mute function, it appears that you can use it in a similar way to the LM3886 mute pin.

lazzer408 will you be buying a kit or designing your own circuit?

Ok long story short...

I'm going to (eventually) be building a 6BQ5 4ch amplifier for my car. I'm in the testing stage trying various PI designs on a home chassis and a friend ordered some Edcor 4-ohm UL OPTs to try as well. In the mean time, I need an amp that's quick and easy and started looking into the chip amps. I had a few chip-amp boards laying around, that were pulled from various computer speakers, and one of them was used in a subwoofer and had a dual-rail supply. I gutted the low-pass section from it and gave it a listen. I was quite pleased with how it sounded. It blew away (in quality) this Technics receiver I use often for testing. Not that that's saying much. The chip amp sounded more like my tube amp then some of these other discrete output receivers I have.

So... I ordered a stereo chip amp off Ebay that uses a pair of TDA7294 for each channel. I let the power rating get to me again. If anything I'll get 4 chips off it.

Seems like there's a lot of people who like the LM3886. Is it really good compared to other ICs?

a 3886 won't work in a car.
The car battery and it's charging system give a voltage that varies from ~11.5V to 13.8Vdc

The 3886 will not work with less than 20Vdc.

The maximum output from any amplifier is ~ 1/3rd of the DC supply voltage.
@ 13.8Vdc the maximum output is ~4.6Vac
This gives ~5W into a 4ohm speaker.

TI really needs to pull their heads out of their butts and stick with a rating system that's consistent.

What's the difference between the LM3876 and LM3886?

According to them...

LM3876 "56w into 8ohm 0.1% THD" (voltages unclear. +/-35v?)
LM3886 "50w into 8ohm" (THD unstated) (+/- 35v?) -or- "68w into 8ohm 0.1% THD" (voltage not stated) -also says- "extremely low THD+N of 0.03% at the rated output" -also says- "38w into 8ohm 0.1 THD"

What are the real specs of these things?

Last edited:
Jeff Rowlands, 47 Labs:
These manufacturers use chipamp design and charge thousands. AndrewT are you not a True Believer? :cool: I made an inverted LM3875 Gainclone about 8 years ago. It sounds better than anything I have ever bought factory made.
Chipamps are more than 'good enough'.

Last edited:
-I don't understand the question. - AndrewT

I would have thought my capitalization of the words True Believer would have at the very least piqued your curiosity as to what it meant. Link below. I thought this term was pretty much part of the common lexicon, guess not. It implies 'cult' which the gainclone amp movement almost is. I admit it. My audiophile friends ALSO find fault with my GC chip amp. Their loss as far as I am concerned. If you are a skeptic then why are you on this forum? This is for cult members only. ;)
The True Believer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.