Need a recommendation for an IC amp. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th March 2014, 08:19 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Need a recommendation for an IC amp.

I'm looking for a good quality single or two channel IC (single channel IC may be better suited) that can run on a +/-25 to +/-30v supply. Minimal external components would be ideal.

I'd be fine with a pre-built ebay board if someone knows a good one.

I have a nice toroid transformer to use on a project and need a small amp for my computer to power some bookshelf speakers.

TDA2050? LM3886? others?

Last edited by lazzer408; 17th March 2014 at 10:49 AM.
Old 17th March 2014, 04:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

If you give more info about your speakers, people will be better suited to offer suggestions.

I would look at the LM1875
Old 17th March 2014, 10:03 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have 8" Sony 8-ohm 3-way, 5" Sony 8-ohm 2-way, and 5" Wharfedale 6-ohm 2-way. There's nothing unique about any of the speakers I'll be driving.

How is the LM1875 vs. TDA2050? Similar?
Old 17th March 2014, 11:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

you shouldn't use an LM1875 or TDA2050 at +/-25V rails if your speakers average impedance is rated at 6ohms - as the speakers actual impedance can drop to 4ohms. This would draw much more current than each of these little chips can deliver at this voltage.

I would recommend you use an LM3886 or LM3875. These chips will happily drive your speakers at the voltages you quoted.
Old 18th March 2014, 01:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I had good luck with the LM3886. With +/- 32 volt rails, I got about 50 watts rms into 8 ohms. They sound great to my ear. It doesn't get much easier, and there are a bunch of circuits and boards you can buy on the web. Linkwitz uses the 3886 in his Pluto biamp'd speaker system, and his circuits are on his website.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:57 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I went with a TDA7294. I'm going to try it out and see how I like it. If I don't I'll try the LM3886.

Here's the DS on it. http://www.st.com/st-web-ui/static/a...CD00000017.pdf
Old 18th March 2014, 01:39 PM   #7
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

TDA1514,7293,4 LM1875,3876,3886...
Id go for 3875 because I havent found any use for mute so far, seems totally pointless.
But I think those chips are all rubbish, go for class discrete.
Old 19th March 2014, 01:18 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The mute function on the 3886 means there's no turn-on transient. I like that a lot. Also, a chipamp will have tighter coupling between the output devices and the temp sensing circuit, so reliability and minimization of crossover distortion is likely better than with a discrete design. I'm not saying chipamps are necessarily better than any discrete design, just that I wouldn't rule them out.
Old 19th March 2014, 02:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
The mute function on the 3886 means there's no turn-on transient. I like that a lot. Also, a chipamp will have tighter coupling between the output devices and the temp sensing circuit, so reliability and minimization of crossover distortion is likely better than with a discrete design. I'm not saying chipamps are necessarily better than any discrete design, just that I wouldn't rule them out.
The TDA7294 also has a mute function, it appears that you can use it in a similar way to the LM3886 mute pin.

lazzer408 will you be buying a kit or designing your own circuit?
Old 21st March 2014, 10:07 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliphant View Post
The TDA7294 also has a mute function, it appears that you can use it in a similar way to the LM3886 mute pin.

lazzer408 will you be buying a kit or designing your own circuit?
Ok long story short...

I'm going to (eventually) be building a 6BQ5 4ch amplifier for my car. I'm in the testing stage trying various PI designs on a home chassis and a friend ordered some Edcor 4-ohm UL OPTs to try as well. In the mean time, I need an amp that's quick and easy and started looking into the chip amps. I had a few chip-amp boards laying around, that were pulled from various computer speakers, and one of them was used in a subwoofer and had a dual-rail supply. I gutted the low-pass section from it and gave it a listen. I was quite pleased with how it sounded. It blew away (in quality) this Technics receiver I use often for testing. Not that that's saying much. The chip amp sounded more like my tube amp then some of these other discrete output receivers I have.

So... I ordered a stereo chip amp off Ebay that uses a pair of TDA7294 for each channel. I let the power rating get to me again. If anything I'll get 4 chips off it.

Seems like there's a lot of people who like the LM3886. Is it really good compared to other ICs?

Hide this!Advertise here!