7294 chip went bang???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could it be that there are no "Fakes", just chips that have been handled without regard to their very high sensitivity to ESD?
From what I have read, static does not always kill the chip immediately, it can shorten it's life and/or effect it's performance.
I was suggesting that unless the chips were handled correctly with regard to ESD between manufacture and customer.

Thanks for the replies.
This particular stereo board has the rectifier, soft start and speaker protection built in. I just added a 22-0-22v transformer and a heatsink.
I get the feeling now it was an isolation problem that caused the chip to blow, leg 7 must have got very hot, the board was burnt. The other channel is still working
The smell of burning remained in the house for hours, reminded me of grilled Kippers. :)

I hamfistedly removed the burnt chip and managed to knock off a couple of pads on the topside of the board.
Is there a simple fix for this, I was thinking of a spot of conductive paste?
Thanks.

Well, I should have said, you can rosin flux the broken copper track, and then solder a regular wire to it, to mend it.

Thanks for the reply Daniel.
There only 1 damaged copper track, which is on top of the board and it's very fine, probably too fine for me work on!
I followed the track and it leads to a resistor, so my idea is solder a wire between the resistor, where it comes out of the bottom of the board and the pin? I think I can do that!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.