Strange little problem (or maybe not so)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've a strange problem I noticed last night (wasn't able to fall asleep for an hour...) My room was completely silent, so i could hear the faint hum (60hz probably) coming from the speakers (my ears are about 1-2 feet away when i'm sleeping), so i shut off my amp, and the hum was gone. But there was a new hum, not 60hz for sure, and it was only apparent when my ears were a few inches away from the tweeter. All of the equipment was off at this time, so I'm kind of curious where it could be coming from, or what it is (no test equipment to find out what it is unfortunately). Could it be some outside interference that's causing this? (There's a heating system below my room that heats the whole building, plus there's a massive transformer outside that i suspect of introducing noise at some times .. not quite ideal place, but all i got)
Any ideas?

btw, the reason for placing this in chip amp is b/c the amp is IGC. Not sure if it could be the amp doing something as it was off at the time ....

millwood said:
take the wires off the speaker: can you still hear it?
take the speaker out of the room: can you still hear it?

human hearing isn't exactly accurate all the time, ;)

I've my computer running right now, so just about any noise is cancelled (and I've a download in progress I'd rather not stop). I was going to try disconnecting it tonight, but figured its past 3am, and i really should be sleeping, so I left it. Tonight though, when I get home I'll definitely try disconnecting it.

Oh, and do you mean take the speaker out of the room and stay in the room :p
On a serious note, i'll actually try that too, seeing if it makes noise in a different room (if it still makes noise while disconnected)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
elizard said:
Oh, and do you mean take the speaker out of the room and stay in the room :p

yeah. one possibility is that the noise could be been induced on the tweeter from outside EM sources. If you took the speaker out and you can still hear the noise, it tells you the induction clearly has zero impact on the speaker: tho. it may have impact on some other things in the room.

what were you doing awake at 3am in the morning? :)

millwood said:

yeah. one possibility is that the noise could be been induced on the tweeter from outside EM sources. If you took the speaker out and you can still hear the noise, it tells you the induction clearly has zero impact on the speaker: tho. it may have impact on some other things in the room.

what were you doing awake at 3am in the morning? :)

Flipping channels till about 2:30am, then I put on a cd to "put me to sleep" (a little restless), but an hour later i was still awake. Turned off the cd, the amp, just about threw my clock out, and then i noticed the noise.
Gotta make use of staying up late/sleeping in while there's no school, but there's only tomorrow left of no school, then 3 more months!

Easyamp said:
just an off topic suggestion, but I believe aside from tracking down these sonic devils you should put a fan in your room to supply some ambeint noise to help you sleep.

Well I do have a fan, but I can't stand it being on. Usually I'm allright as far as falling asleep goes, but every once in a while i'll have a horrid night, and won't get more than an hour or two of sleep. Really terrible!!!

And as far as school goes, our goes until first week of april, then we have exams for 2 weeks, and we're done until september!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.