4 x LM3886 Monoblocks (each with tri/quad chips) - questions and help... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th February 2014, 03:53 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Exclamation 4 x LM3886 Monoblocks (each with tri/quad chips) - questions and help...

Hi All,

I am considering building:
- 4 monoblocks (for bi-amp - more on that)
- each monoblock will consist of tri or quad LM3886 chips
- 2 monoblocks per transformer.
- 2 monoblocks per enclosure.

This is my first AMP build project and wanted some help..

- I wanted to buy pre-built kit, something featuring 3 or 4 chips in parallel per mono amp. Any suggestions?

- What transformers etc?

- Powersupply? I am clueless about what I need for 4 monoblocks

- I am currently using Audiolab 8000S + Audiolab 8000P to biamp Proac Studio 140MK2 8ohm speakers. Would the above give me sufficient power to replace Audiolab?
Old 24th February 2014, 06:39 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I guess, going by these few threads, China kits are not worth it..
Bought a XY LM3886 Kit.
Old 24th February 2014, 07:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i think i am leaning towards chipamp.com dual mono to kick start this project. Are there any other alternative kits? Ideally pre-assembled ones?
Old 24th February 2014, 08:19 PM   #4
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

IMO a very pointless exercise, you won't better the Audiolabs.

rgds, sreten.
Old 24th February 2014, 08:21 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

IMO a very pointless exercise, you won't better the Audiolabs.

rgds, sreten.
Thank you for the quick reply. I have been reading about the magical 3886 but always wondered if it was going to be a worthwhile upgrade.
Old 24th February 2014, 10:14 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Paralleled chipamps is rather too ambitious a project for a first-timer. Better to start smaller and gather experience. TDA8566 is a great starter chip and might possibly better your Audiolab in the right implementation albeit at considerably lower power output.
Old 24th February 2014, 10:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

thank you abraxalito.

I am in at the deep end and i have to admit that I am finding it all very confusing indeed. I guess the audio quality (and cost) is my biggest priority and was interested in seeing if Chipamps cant better my AudioLab pre-power combo. Having read through some more, I suspect a custom PCB + quality components may just work out to be more or equal than a second hand Audiolab 8000P. I wonder if anyone has compared these chipamps to some hi/mid end amps such as Roksan etc and can share their opinions regarding sound quality?

I will check out TDA8566, any kits you can recommend? What would be the best "audiophile" / high quality Chipamp kit to start with?
Old 24th February 2014, 10:26 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
TDA8566 is a great starter chip
Just read your other thread about 2ohm load. Would this chip be suitable for my Proac, they are 8ohm with minimum 15w requirement?
Old 24th February 2014, 10:32 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
I have a blog entry with a schematic for a TDA8566 amp here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs...d-project.html

The chip can drive down to a 2ohm load, I've only tried it with 8ohms and it sounds awesome with the right power supply and layout. Having a good layout and a very low noise power supply are what makes for a high-end sound, in my experience. Those aspects are not explained in the textbooks I've read but make the greatest difference, IME. I can only recommend learning that yourself by building and playing around with tweaks - that's the fun of DIY
Old 24th February 2014, 10:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
I have a blog entry with a schematic for a TDA8566 amp here : http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs...d-project.html

The chip can drive down to a 2ohm load, I've only tried it with 8ohms and it sounds awesome with the right power supply and layout. Having a good layout and a very low noise power supply are what makes for a high-end sound, in my experience. Those aspects are not explained in the textbooks I've read but make the greatest difference, IME. I can only recommend learning that yourself by building and playing around with tweaks - that's the fun of DIY
Thank you. Just reading through your link
Yes I am very much of a noob when it comes to DIY, so please bear with the noob questions.

Hide this!Advertise here!