So, you still not sure if building a GC makes sense?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Congrats, Peter!

Man, I didn't think those Kestrel speakers were so small. :)

eight.jpg

se

I started experimenting with non-inverting topology in late October and there is no doubt in my mind that it sounds better with those amps. It is not only my opinion but everybody elses who tried the new amps.

I'm also eventually convinced that some input buffering may indeed be beneficial and the TVC stage is particularly a good match for a chip amp (although at the moment, my Patek amp sounds very good with a switching resistor attenuator at the input as well).

I have always preferred to keep the transformer separate from the amplifier but after experimenting with the umbilicals between the two, and more so after converting that old Arcam A60 where both are in the same box, I am convinced that with the Gainclone, the transformer/PSU is best placed as close as possible to the chip.

There is just one thing that I would like to ask Peter. You have one cone under the copper bar but what does the rest of the amp 'sit' on to stop it tilting over?

Nuuk said:
There is just one thing that I would like to ask Peter. You have one cone under the copper bar but what does the rest of the amp 'sit' on to stop it tilting over?

I'm not Peter, but it would appear to be that "T" bar at the power supply end of the chassis. See the photo I posted above.

Here's a better shot that should make it more clear:

three.jpg

se

I was contemplating for a while what would be a best way to support the amp in the rear to prevent it from tilting and it appears that a simple brass bar (1/2") was the best solution. As mentioned in a review it affects the sound quite a lot and by using different kind of pads (under it) one can adjust the sound pretty much to his taste.

Audio Oasis site was not really updated for chip amps and the new site for Audio Zone products only is being currently prepared and should be available any time now. We are also present at CES this year.

Building PS into the amp is indeed beneficial, as I noticed previously that umbilical cord affects the sound in a big time. And 1" copper bar provides all the shielding you need;)

I'm quite happy with a current design and I think it's as compact as one can get: shortest everything (if that really matters);)

Notice that transformer is not rigidly mounted and rubber pads keep it positioned in place. The side panels are attached with one bolt only ( through transformer's center) and secure transformer horizontaly.

Peter Daniel said:
I'm afraid they wouldn't do justice to powerful bass GC produces;)

Hehehe. Actually with some boundary reinforcement (i.e. a desk) the Elans had some pretty amazing bass for their size.

But, IIRC, those speakers got good reviews also.

Well, the Stereophile review wasn't very good. But Clayton Shaw had completely screwed up the original design.

se

You see, for me the designs come spontaniously. I was thinking quite a long time about the monoblocks concept and somehow couldn't come up with anything reasonable and making sense (remember waterproof chip thread;))

And then one day I went into Home Depot and saw those cork floor panels and I new right away that this would make perfect sides for a new amp. I also new right away how to put it together to make it functional and simple. Although we used acrylic here, the principle stays the same.

So it's only a matter of time, when new project emerges. I'm building currently quite an advanced CD transport, but it's too complicated for production. But it may be a base for simpler unit. I already know that I would be probably using 1x2" cpper bars for the frame, but then again I don't want to copy 47Labs too much. And I like their idea of a simple transport a lot.;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.