What LM3875 to buy?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recommend the TF
The T is a non-isolated chip, while the TF is the isolated version of the lm chip.

Gainclone doesn't run hot anyway, so you won't have much problems w/ heat dissipation, and using a non-isolated chip only adds the headache of making sure its isolated from the heatsink.

neutron7 said:
The "f" version is isolated, I take it that means that you can bolt (2 of them) directly to the heatsink even if it is connected to ground.

that's correct

skyraider said:
just wondering, how really good is a gaincard compared to those megabucks amp?

Yeech, do a search through the chip amp forum and you'll find many people who argue back and forth.

All I can say is that a gainclone has a surprising sound (when you look at it you think to yourself "THIS is going to make sound???")

I have only used

the TF version of it.

I don't know anything about electronics but made my third set of gc's.
Turns out to be easy to solder some stuff together, following instructions from guys here on the diverse fora and dedicated websites!

One thing I do not understand is why NS would even make a non insulated version? they both cost the same price, and the TF is so much easier to handle......

Maybe some one can explain, maybe there is a quality difference, soundwise or so ??? Or Durability, as the heat gets trapped inside a TF version more than the T ?

Jean-Pierre

I guess that the thing about gaincard is its new bold design, that something cheap and simple can sound as nice as anything else. a true minimalist and KISS. If nobody ever hacked one open and figured out that it is using a cheap chipamp, there wouldnt be so much controversy about it huh?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.