TLO82 chip good drop in for LF353?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, is the TL082 chip considered to be a drop in replacement for the LF353? I had both lf353 chips go bad on the RCA input board causing my power amp to go straight to protect mode. I had some opa2132 chips on hand and installed them the problem was solved and the amp actually sounds better than before. If, the TL082 chips are a better drop in choice I can get them from my local RS. or would I be better off ordering some 0.1uf X7R caps to put from all four power pins of the two TL082 chips, to ground? I plan on ordering some of the X7R caps along with some other components anyway. Thanks for all advice! :)

OPA2132 is a new generation chip. In the TL0XXseries I have only seen TL07X used in audio circuits. Maybe the 8X was not considered good enough. In any case people who had TL072 changed them to current OPA versions. Why do want to step back in time ?

OPA2132 is a new generation chip. In the TL0XXseries I have only seen TL07X used in audio circuits. Maybe the 8X was not considered good enough. In any case people who had TL072 changed them to current OPA versions. Why do want to step back in time ?
Oh, I don't I think you have just answered my question I'll just add the x7r caps to the 2132s when I get them. Thanks! :)

tl08x was designed to be a low current version of the tl07x.
As such some compromises will have been designed in. Don't use the 8 series unless you need the low current capability.

Similarly the tl06x was a low supply voltage version. Only use it when a low supply voltage is necessary.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
If the IC's really are failing then you need to address that issue. Could there be a dry on a regulator spiking the IC's ? Is the problem perhaps input related... are you plugging inputs with stuff powered up. DVD's, TV's can have fearsome voltages on any floating "grounds" but with no current behind them. Anything like that could degrade or fail an IC as connections were made.

Just a thought.

If the IC's really are failing then you need to address that issue. Could there be a dry on a regulator spiking the IC's ? Is the problem perhaps input related... are you plugging inputs with stuff powered up. DVD's, TV's can have fearsome voltages on any floating "grounds" but with no current behind them. Anything like that could degrade or fail an IC as connections were made.

Just a thought.
I loaned the amp out and it came back with a couple crawling critters inside of it which, was the cause of the short out. :eek: Needless to say, I'll never loan anything like that out again. :mad:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.