Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2014, 06:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Chip Amp comparisons?

Has anyone found a site that compares the options out there for chip amps (or ideally all DIY amp options) Ideally there is a comparison out there that shows output in which resistances, cost, complexity, sound impressions, etc I know that one of the factors that effects this is the difference in set ups that people do, but I would think we should look at basic 2 channels as the basis for comparison.

I'm trying to read and research options, but there is just no good single point source for comparisons...

One of my biggest questions is between some a classic chip amp for example, the gainclone variations compared to the mosfet varieties. (like this HPA-nxV200 R2 Signature Audio Amplifier Module and Hx100 Mosfet Amp Kit - 150Watts/RMS by AmpsLab )
Old 25th January 2014, 06:56 PM   #2
sreten is offline sreten  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Neither of your links are chip amps and your asking
a question along the lines you want the answer to
everything. There is no such answer.

Choose your poison regarding amplifier topology.

Nobody in there right mind would try to compare
all amplifier topologies and try and rate them.

I have my own technically informed opinions on
the subject, many have opinions with no real
technical basis and go for what appeals to them.

Building amplifiers is very expensive compared
to buying good used ones, and possibly modify.

rgds, sreten.
Old 26th January 2014, 12:05 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi,

Neither of your links are chip amps and your asking
a question along the lines you want the answer to
everything. There is no such answer.

Choose your poison regarding amplifier topology.

Nobody in there right mind would try to compare
all amplifier topologies and try and rate them.

I have my own technically informed opinions on
the subject, many have opinions with no real
technical basis and go for what appeals to them.

Building amplifiers is very expensive compared
to buying good used ones, and possibly modify.

rgds, sreten.
The two links are to mosfet PCBs, which I see as an alternative to the commone gainclone style chip amps. (I'm assuming these would fall into the A/B category, but I'm not entirely sure)

I'm not looking for a "this option is best" or a rating, I'm just hoping to find something that shows all of the common DIY options (class A, class A/B, tube, chip amps, class "T") and gives some sort of reference between them. Not just generic "This is what class A means" but here is one DIY class A amp, and here are it's specifics. The power output commonly associated with the options, and then some specific notes on the specific limitations each design imposes. For me this would be very helpful to learn about these systems and making a decision between them.

For me, I very well may purchase a used amp, but knowing the differences between some of the common DIY will help me make that decision.
Old 26th January 2014, 05:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

IMHO: There is a bit of connotation here that what is interesting => bestest at the cheapest. I'm sure the two boards you referenced are fine example of good amps. They seem to be a bit on the high end for price and low end for DIY involvement.

Just as an good 'style' example TDA7294 + Power Transistors AMP (TDA7293 to come also) right here.

Built right, that should exceed the power output of the ones you are looking at and several people have done the schematics/pc boards.

Difference between amps i.e. tube vs. digital<t-amp> is highly subjective. I have a lot of junk like low end Sure 2024 digital to Yamaha DSP A970. Just picked up a Crown CE 1000 565 Watt per channel amp for $20, all it needs is a $3 volume pot. I have numerous chip amp kits too. I even have a Fender Princeton Reverb Tube amp. Thing is, I love them all. They all sound great.

If you have a few things to share about yourself it may help. For instance, living off the grid so interested in high efficiency, drive a Prius, drive a GTO, live in a condo, couldn't hit my nearest neighbor with a sling shot, still listen to vinyl records, want something for home theater, that kind of stuff.
Old 16th February 2014, 05:41 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricortes View Post
IMHO: There is a bit of connotation here that what is interesting => bestest at the cheapest. I'm sure the two boards you referenced are fine example of good amps. They seem to be a bit on the high end for price and low end for DIY involvement.
Yes, regarding low involvement, I don't really enjoy the DIY aspect of electronics. I do it for my hobbies because it tends to result in the best answer for my application, but I will always choose the less involved option over the more involved option when possible.

Quote:
If you have a few things to share about yourself it may help. For instance, living off the grid so interested in high efficiency, drive a Prius, drive a GTO, live in a condo, couldn't hit my nearest neighbor with a sling shot, still listen to vinyl records, want something for home theater, that kind of stuff.
Not particularly interested in high electrical efficiency, only cost efficiency. I am in the camp that as long as the amp isn't poorly designed, I'm not going to be able to hear a difference, so I'd like to spend the rest of my money on speakers. I need at least 8 channels, and a MIN of 60watts per channel.

As far as off the shelf solutions, I believe the new dayton audio 12 channel Class D ($600), a stack of Behringer A500s (~$800), Used 12/16 channel from Crestron/sherbourne/niles audio of ebay (~$700), or 2 emotivas (upa-7 channel/upa-2 channel) ~$1000 would all suit my application with various positives or negatives.

So, while I think all of the above could work for me, if there is a DIY option that is relatively simple, (avoids hundreds of hours of soldering) allows me to build exactly what I need, and will be equal or better at a similar cost, I'd love to be able to evaluate it as an option.
Old 16th February 2014, 09:20 PM   #6
lgreen is offline lgreen  United States
diyAudio Member

it is expensive to make an 8 channel DIY amp, the cheapest, which will still be expensive, is parallel or bridge parallel LM4780's which will sound pretty good.
Old 18th February 2014, 06:51 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Something you may want to consider is the Sure class D amp in this thread.
Sure Electronics New Tripath Board tc2000+tp2050

I didn't wade through it all myself. It isn't a fully integrated solution in that you need to supply your own power transformer which will add a bunch to the cost. I do have another Sure amp and I love the thing. Fairly decent support and their own web page outside of eBay.

Hide this!Advertise here!