Using a variable resistor in the feedback loop.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I am trying to make a stereo electric mic preamp and am thinking of using a variable restor in the gain feedback loop for volume control instead of placing a volume knob at the end of the signal path, as shown in the few DIY preamp pages.

Is this a good idea? If yes, please explain. If no please explain.

What are the pros and cons?

My thoughts are that I would put a 1k resistor at the begining of the signal path and a modified 100K pont in the feedback loop.

The 100k pont would act as a variable 100k resistor for volume control insead of putting a volume knob at the end of the circut.

Am I on the right path or is this a bad idea? I want the sound of the preamp to be as transparent as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

darren01 said:
Hello,

I am trying to make a stereo electric mic preamp and am thinking of using a variable restor in the gain feedback loop for volume control instead of placing a volume knob at the end of the signal path, as shown in the few DIY preamp pages.

Is this a good idea? If yes, please explain. If no please explain.

What are the pros and cons?

My thoughts are that I would put a 1k resistor at the begining of the signal path and a modified 100K pont in the feedback loop.

The 100k pont would act as a variable 100k resistor for volume control insead of putting a volume knob at the end of the circut.

Am I on the right path or is this a bad idea? I want the sound of the preamp to be as transparent as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Darren

Problems I can see:
- You’d never get to 0 volume. The gain is min 1.
- It better be a good pot. It’ll also be a DC NF component, so you may get some really big spikes/noise (+/-V) if it doesn’t make a good contact at all times. May be a good idea to put a 200k resistor in parallel to the pot. I won’t be surprised if you hear noise every time you turn the pot.
I wouldn’t do it that way.

Greg

Pot scratching can indeed be a problem.

But

- there are applications where it doesen't matter because you don't turn on the pot very often

- scratching can be minimised by minimising DC-current through the pot

Below is what the input stage of my aforementioned bass-amp looked like. C3 is there in order to minimise DC current through the pot (in addition to the use of a FET input opamp). You now trade scratching against some variation in DC offset, which may or may not be a problem, depending on the application and type of op-amp used.

Regards

Charles

Attachments

• loudn.jpg
    loudn.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 395
I do same on my guitar preamps without R5 and no problem, no scratching effect with TL072s. I do same with simple jfet preamp too and nothing problem. I think about scratching effect, the good quality output condensers or for example a mixer/line driver/tone control after preamps solve the problem. :devilr:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.