Chip for First Project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2014, 09:42 PM   #1
shlshh is offline shlshh  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Chip for First Project

Hi all,

I've been reading up on the forum quite a bit lately and am finally beginning work on my first project. My plan was to drive two Tang Band W3-1053 drivers, which are rated at 8 ohm impedance. I live in a pretty small place, I don't need blaring speakers, but would like something a little louder than my laptop

Two things -- I was hoping to build the circuit myself (I don't want to buy a PCB). Also, I know that these drivers aren't capable of much bass. The next addition to my project would be a subwoofer.

My question is: what chip do you recommend? This is what I've gathered from the forums so far.

LM386: can be powered off of 9V batteries (making a power supply might be too ambitious for me) but can only output 1W
LM3886: better power output, but would need to make a power supply (maybe future project)
TDA2030: supply voltage range 4.5~20V, so I could first power off batteries then later switch to transformer

Is this summary right? In that case, I think I'd go for a TDA20x0 amp, and first power it with a few batteries while I work on the subwoofer and power supply.

Thanks!
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:14 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I really think you have kinda locked yourself in by selecting that little Tangband. As a point of reference, I have a 2822, 600mA amp pirated out of one of these cheapie "PC speakers".....those common stupid things everyone sees flanking a PC screen. Given that the drivers in those stupid white things are bad in all ways..... first & foremost efficiency, secondly frequency response (none).
In your case you have selected a driver that runs at 85Db...about as low as you can get. Looking up the 6.5" Visatron driver, it's rated at 93Db (in a 1.0 cubic foot enclosure) Can you have a 16" by 12" by 8"...or thereabouts sized enclosure? Point is, you are putting increased "pressure" on the amp side of the "equation" ...as far as designing the system as a whole.
My tiny clean 600mA worth of power is driving a pair of freebie two-way car 6X9s' in an open baffle.......& it's way loud enough, clean....& with them on 1.0M by 1.2M panels, they are "out of the way"..up against the walls, my computer in the corner, flanked by the two panels.

__________________________________________________ ____Rick......
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Interesting point. From the drivers I was considering it did have one of the higher sensitivities. This is probably because I locked myself into 3" diameter and less than $20/driver from Parts Express.

I've ordered the drivers but I can exchange them if it is going to have a very significant impact on the end result. A quick look shows this newly posted-driver (FaitalPRO 3FE25) should be an improvement at 91dB sensitivity
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
I modeled the Faital thru winISD beta, I get -3.09Db @ 54.53 Hz. 240 X 191 X 151 mm inside dimensions 40mm by 106mm long port...Seven liters volume, Fb of 62.59 Hz.

_______________________________________________Ric k.........
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:50 AM   #5
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

?Perhaps the LM4752 powered by a surplus laptop power supply?
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm4752.pdf
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Easiest chip amp I ever built was TDA8566. Can run from a car battery or anything up to 18V (a laptop supply through a bridge rectifier to lose a volt or two works).
Old 3rd January 2014, 04:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb View Post
?Perhaps the LM4752 powered by a surplus laptop power supply?
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm4752.pdf
Thanks for the suggestion paulb. Why do you recommend this chip? My concern -- from DigiKey and Mouser, it looks like there are only surface mount versions available. I was hoping to prototype with a breadboard. I'm new to electronics (if you couldn't tell!), so I don't know how I can make this work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
Easiest chip amp I ever built was TDA8566. Can run from a car battery or anything up to 18V (a laptop supply through a bridge rectifier to lose a volt or two works).
@abraxalito, same question -- why do you recommend this chip? From the datasheet it seems to be designed for 2ohm and 4ohm loads.

I'm also trying to learn, how are these different from what seems to be the more commonly used LM3886?

Thanks!
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:21 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlshh View Post
why do you recommend this chip? From the datasheet it seems to be designed for 2ohm and 4ohm loads.
First reason - I've built 3 or so and they've all sounded better than any LM3886 (or TDA7294 for that matter) I've ever built.

Second reason - its a very simple chip to put a low impedance supply behind because the pins are close together. Hence I use a lot of ceramic caps right between the pins.

Thirdly its got the gain resistors on the chip, it has separate signal and power grounds, it has differential input.

Yes its designed to drive down to 2ohms, that just means its really only loafing along with an 8ohm load, and that shows in the SQ.

Quote:
I'm also trying to learn, how are these different from what seems to be the more commonly used LM3886?
LM3886 suffers from poor PSRR at higher freqs - perhaps its greatest weakness - about 24dB at 20kHz. The TDA8566 is at least 30dB better than this - a not insignificant margin.

<edit> Forgot to mention another major advantage - its a bridged chip, so grounding problems are eased considerably.

Last edited by abraxalito; 3rd January 2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 3rd January 2014, 12:38 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The TDA8566 sounds like a chip to try out on my next build.

Here is a link to my chip amp that I just finished. The boards came from Chipamp.com and the power supply board was bought on E-bay, but you can also get that from chip amp. I went with a different power supply to save a few bucks.
My New Chip Amp

Don't let the power supply thing scare you into limiting your options on an amp to build. The supply is quite easy to build.

Dale P.
Old 3rd January 2014, 04:09 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks abraxalito, I will look into that chip. It sounds like it will do a lot of what I need it to do.

Ibuildstuff4u, your amp looks pretty cool! I guess I'll start looking into supplies too, could be a fun challenge

Hide this!Advertise here!