PAM8403 Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the reply, Riko. I figured more folks here might have played with this board.. (Or similar)

Can you give me some details on what you did with it? I'd like to start a small project but plan to be frugal in the power usage area..

I enjoy low wattage sound systems and seeing what I can get out of them. I don't want to load my battery down any more than I need to..

just got my order in. bought a couple to play with, wasnt expecting much.. hooked them up to a pair of 18650 in parallel (about 4.1V charged) and to some 3 inch full range in TL. The first impressions were: "oh crap!"... I then opened a bottle of wine and let them play.. about 30min in it was like "excuse me?!, did i miss something??" They opened up like i never saw before, low end was there, good mid and treble. I was starting to wonder if it was the wine.. i then plugged the li-ion charger, voltage went up, sound got better right away.. again (WTF is going on here). Spec sheet does not begin to describe what it sounds like.(please bear in mind I write this is as a $1,99 chinese amp with 1,5-2w of power the size of your thumb witch i thought would be a joke)
I then went to the source and tried to up the volume. That is when it all went downhill. This amp has a very narrow sweet spot, after that there is a huge cliff of distortion.
For the price/efficiency/size/flexibility/availability i do not see any other options on the market. With some nice efficient 4ohm speakers possibilities are huge

I bought a PAM8403 that I am trying to get connected right now to my Bluetooth. Did you figure out how to connect it up?

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 928
I'm going to use an LM7805 regulator from my 12 volt D.C. house supply. I have several input feeds to choose from and an assortment of 4 and 8 ohm speakers to play with..

I haven't planned to use a Bluetooth system. I'm just playing with Micro Amplification right now..

I figure you could work with something like this. Your board already has a volume control built in to it..

Amazon.com: Belkin F8Z492TTP Bluetooth Music Receiver: MP3 Players & Accessories

bottom 3 pins from what i can make out... (small picture) btw what Bluetooth module do you have?

The Bluetooth board I have is one that is integrated into my helmet which is a Torc T-10 Helmet. The Bluetooth board is a YY-6300-3-8 model and the Bluetooth device in blinc 1 brand name. I hooked everything up the way I think it should go and everything turns on etc but no sound comes out the speakers. I am trying to find out what the pins key 1 and key 2 are for. Does anybody know?

Attachments

• IMG_2451.jpg
    IMG_2451.jpg
    657.7 KB · Views: 619
The first pic is the back of the Bluetooth chip. The second pic is of the battery pcb chip and the third pic is what I am trying to integrate into the existing Bluetooth system.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 572
  • IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    448.2 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    795.6 KB · Views: 532
Are the common outputs from the Bluetooth at the same potential between each other (Ground) or are they floating? Is the input common of the amp at the same potential as the battery common? Be careful of ground loop issues, being you're powering everything from the same source. Beyond that, it looks good..

Worst case, you may need to isolate the input of the amp..

Amazing

just got my order in. bought a couple to play with, wasnt expecting much.. hooked them up to a pair of 18650 in parallel (about 4.1V charged) and to some 3 inch full range in TL. The first impressions were: "oh crap!"... I then opened a bottle of wine and let them play.. about 30min in it was like "excuse me?!, did i miss something??" They opened up like i never saw before, low end was there, good mid and treble. I was starting to wonder if it was the wine.. i then plugged the li-ion charger, voltage went up, sound got better right away.. again (WTF is going on here). Spec sheet does not begin to describe what it sounds like.(please bear in mind I write this is as a $1,99 chinese amp with 1,5-2w of power the size of your thumb witch i thought would be a joke)
I then went to the source and tried to up the volume. That is when it all went downhill. This amp has a very narrow sweet spot, after that there is a huge cliff of distortion.
For the price/efficiency/size/flexibility/availability i do not see any other options on the market. With some nice efficient 4ohm speakers possibilities are huge

I'm with you on this one. I bought several boards, which have yet to arrive but I also bought one with an on-board switch/volume pot. A simple hook up with a 12v 5a brick with an intervening 12v to 5v step down, and this thing FLIES...

I hooked it up to my Quarter-wave Fostex towers and stood back, expecting nothing but disappointment, having spent $2.49 for the amp and a couple of $ for plugs, sockets and wiring.

My wife will tell you I walked around the house muttering that this is un-bloody-believeable, how what is effectively 1 watt into an 8 ohm load can produce such depth of sound, detail, and soundstage. I'm listening to previously well-known cds, and a whole new world has opened up. Plus it just gets better, as you remarked. With a CD left on repeat and at decent volume, as I potter around the house, I revisit my listening room occasionally to wonder if I'm actually hearing correctly.

I can't understand how a tiny cheap board with next to no on-board capacitance, (in the form of a poxy little smd cap), can handle transients the way this thing does. For example the thunderous hammered chords on Elton Johns Song for Guy, or the deep thumping bass line on the first track of Filippa Giordano's self-titled first album. I have my old Adcom 100w per side power amp as a comparison and this peanuts-priced amp aquits itself very well indeed, once I'd got around the impossibility of such a comparison being remotely fair or even sensible.

This thing is smooth and very pleasant to listen to. It might not be the last word in fidelity (how could it possibly, given all of the foregoing), but trust me, if you have a couple of hours to spare, can use a soldering iron and have 10 bucks in your pocket, building and listening to this set up with very efficient 8 ohm speakers ( ie a proper set up, not ipods, computer speakers, headphones and the like), you will not spend this time and money unrewarded. These things are so cheap and satisfying, every time I'm tempted to buy a latte, a packet of gum, or a newspaper, I'm jolted by the fact that I could be spending these few dollars on another of these little beauties. Extremely addictive are they....

Overstating my case? Who knows...only you can be the judge, and believe me I'm definitely not the worlds best soldering type, in fact I'm ham fisted and get results more by accident than design in many cases.

Get a couple of these things and marvel what $2.50 can sound like...

Cheers, Martin

I totally agree. I've been experimenting with them for some months now and I'm impressed. Can't use an FM tuner on it but who cares.. LOL

One project that I built is very sweet. Used a 6.5" Single Point Stereo Ceiling Speaker mounted in a paint bucket with an inside area of .3 Sq. Ft. Mounted the amp to the magnet of the speaker. Installed a LM7805 regulator directly to the board. Wired a volume pot, a female 3.5mm input jack, and power leads. Mounted the volume control through a hole to the side of the bucket and pigtailed the audio input/power leads outside. Mounted the speaker in the lid of the bucket. (It fit perfect, BTW)

I installed a micro toggle switch between the power source and the amp/regulator. (8-"AA" cells) The regulator/amp standby load will drain the battery after a period. (An after thought after needing to replace the batteries once while it sit for a week unused) I mounted it beside the volume control through the side of the bucket..

It will operate for weeks on a set of batteries as long as you remember to use the switch..

My "Bucket-O-Tunes" (I did solder the ground connection after the pic..)

MCM Custom Audio 6 1/2'' Single Point Stereo Ceiling Speaker - 50W RMS | 50-14020 (5014020) | MCM Custom Audio

eue4.jpg

orfj.jpg

cedn.jpg

gmf9.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.