LM338 power supply pcb, I want to make on for personal use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Someone told me how to remove the layers from the heatsink and now I can do a full ground plane. I also made a 3d rendering of the board so I have an idea on how it will look like. Pretty neat!
I will probably get some tantalum capacitors on the ADJ and output but for the test it's nice.

Attachments

• brd.png
    brd.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 156
  • LM338 regulator.png
    LM338 regulator.png
    527.3 KB · Views: 157
  • LM338 regulator 2.png
    LM338 regulator 2.png
    503.5 KB · Views: 142
A few comments:

- Think in terms of power planes. There's no reason your positive power traces should be so much smaller than the ground traces.

- There's an optimal way to connect r1 and r2 for optimal performance: r1 should be connected as close as possible to the output pin of the reg, not sharing the output track (or as little as possible) and the ground side of r2/c5 should not be tied to the power groundplane but by a dedicated track directly to the gnd ouput terminal.

A few comments:

- Think in terms of power planes. There's no reason your positive power traces should be so much smaller than the ground traces.

- There's an optimal way to connect r1 and r2 for optimal performance: r1 should be connected as close as possible to the output pin of the reg, not sharing the output track (or as little as possible) and the ground side of r2/c5 should not be tied to the power groundplane but by a dedicated track directly to the gnd ouput terminal.

You mean like this?

Attachments

• brd.png
    brd.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.