No sound output Peavey Rage - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 28th December 2013, 04:43 AM   #1
diyAudio Member
Default No sound output Peavey Rage

Hello this is my first time on the forum and I hope that this is a suitable area to post. I am wondering if anyone can offer me some advice. I have a Peavey Rage 12 Watt practice amp that suddenly lost all sound output. From my extremely limited electronics diagnostic knowledge, I donít think that it is a power supply issue because the power light is on and I can hear a static sound from the speaker. Not a very technically sound diagnosis but hey I have to work with what Iíve got I have read that TDA2040 power amp chip failure is quite common and as these are only a couple of dollars am wondering how I might test this IC in my amp to see if it is the problem. I have downloaded a circuit schematic and have a multimeter and a ton of enthusiasm so how might I proceed.

Thanks for reading this and hopefully offering some advice Pedro.
Old 3rd January 2014, 04:12 AM   #2
diyAudio Member
Hi sonyzz!! The way i take over this things is : with VOM check PS then trace signal and locate failed components! But First...
relate your circuit to the schematic, follow traces, check visually, smell...
then check ps might have blown resistors or caps. check res with meter
have good luck and take breaks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tallerb.jpg (44.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 3rd January 2014, 06:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member
Click the image to open in full size.Thanks for replying Martin, and also for the tips in helping to diagnose problems. What I did find was a loose PCB mounted input socket

Hide this!Advertise here!