could John Audio re-desigh the Trace elliot TDA 1514A layout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hay John what would you suggest in the layout, and do you, or have you ever owned / had this amp, and if so did you have any problem's with her. I'd think some kind of a easy mod? would I be barking up the wrong tree if I used 30 Volt zener's.
:smash:

Re-design?

I think that the easiest and cheapest way is to replace the mains transformer with a model giving a maximum of +/- 30 V DC after rectification and smoothing - say 20 - 0 - 20 V AC.
Certainly you will not be able to use zener diodes (with associated dropping resistors) - without huge power dissipation!

At least there will probably be plenty of room in the chassis to fit a substitute mains transformer.......

I have worked on a number of Trace Elliot products - but have not come across this particular design - so am not aware whether this is a typical problem - but I would imagine that they must have had many warranty returns!

Further research might be worthwhile to see if there is an official fix for this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.