tk2050 and meanwell psu in same cabinet? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th November 2013, 08:16 AM   #1
w00blyn is offline w00blyn  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default tk2050 and meanwell psu in same cabinet?

Hello

First off, this is a great forum, thanks to all involved for providing endless hours of reading and insight! Awesome resource.

I just picked up this sweet old Admiral tube radio from a garage sale:
Click the image to open in full size.

It only had 2 tubes left in it, and as awesome as tubes are, I don't have an isolation transformer to safely play with it (nor any clue where to start..). But the cabinet is rad, so I'd like to rig my 4 Channel TK2050 in there, along with a phono pre-amp and a little PAM8403 to power the little 1.5 watters in the box.

I'm trying to figure out my power supply. I've been using a laptop brick running only 2 channels of the TK2050 for now, it sounds alright, but I'm planning on having all 4 channels running once it's in the living room. I've heard good things about the Meanwell 350w, and according to the dimensions it would actually fit inside the cabinet, along with the TK2050...but it'd be tight, like maybe 1 cm clearance between the PSU and the heatsink on the TK2050. I'm sure heat will be the main issue, but do you think I'd get any RF noise from the psu being so close? Has anyone put their PSU in the same box as the TK2050?

Thanks!
Matty
Old 5th November 2013, 08:37 AM   #2
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Most builders put the transformer in the same box as the amplifier.

There are big Safety Issues when the transformer is in a separate box from the amplifier.
There are Threads that discuss these Safety Issues.

Hide this!Advertise here!