TDA 1514A not holding its own

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. everyone. I'm new here. I have a problem with an Trace Elliot SuperTramp twin stereo chorus, guitar amp, blowing / exploding
the TDA 1514A chips. I cant get any Tech support, schematic's
or such. these blow after jaming hard for 20min's or so, at a vol..
of 6 to 8. think the heatsinks maybe to small,? a bad designed output modual,? any id? Power Tran is 25 0 25 at 1.1amp
RMS is 2x40, 2x55 peak at 4ohm's. Would even like to mod
the output's if some on here could give me some dirrection to go.
This amp was made back in july of 1995 if any one has schem's
T.Lelliot made differant ver. of these amp's with out the TDA 1514A.
Thanks
Glad I found this place, have some other project's I mite get off the ground now. :smash:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
ron clarke said:
Or just use 2 12V batteries for P/S , it gives you +/- 12Vdc and provides for a much much cleaner signal.
ron

The question is if RIC wants a cleaner signal for his guitar amp !

+/- 35 V is too much for the 1514, maybe you can hack in a pair of LM3875 ??

BTW isn't it *might* instead of *mite* ?? Just to know if I learnt english the right way....

no ron I mean hooking the amps AC cord to an VARIAC my / our supply is like 120 to 125 vac here in the armpit of oklahoma, I'm talking about my ac outlet-VARIAC-amp ac cord. would not that drop supply to chip, I've done this on tube amp to get / set/adjust sound. never tried it on solid state, I don't see any zener's, or such on this amp, could be wrong though.

Trace Elliot

I have a Trace Elliot schematic showing the TDA1514A power amplifier and the associated PSU - which is quite conventional, with a centre tapped transformer 23-0-23. It shows the DC voltages as 35-0-35
and the smoothing capacitors rated at 4700u/35v.

So everything is either close to the edge - or slightly over.

The company is no longer trading - wonder why that is?!!!

Crawford Perkins from Gibson support tried to help on the schem's
but every one he sent was the same. thay were for the super tramp, and the super tramp twin, no TDA 1514A. He told me that britishaudioservice.com does all trace elliot repairs now. but
it under construction. a dude ,,,shane, at tech support there. that i e-mail for schematics
wantd me to call him, I did but just get recording of company
hour's, ect..... look's like it might be a good one after the get-up
and running.
Itend too think that the heat sinks arn't addequit, just an L shape back to chassis, no fins. I'd ask for those schem's
but look's like it's not allowed on here?
hay thanks for letting me know thay are out there somewhere.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.