Need help with my LME 48930 amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th October 2013, 08:40 PM   #1
fiscal is offline fiscal  France
diyAudio Member

Default Need help with my LME 48930 amp

Hi

I have a hum with my new LME 48930 amp. It is a 2 x 100 W (8ohms), with two pairs of 2SK1058/2SJ 102 mosfets. There is a single power supply +/50 V, ClC one, with 2 larges 22 mH capacitors, and 1,8mh self on each rail.

I don't understand why I have this hum, with the IN+ connected to ground.

Here's a capture of th e mesure with cold amp (5mv/2ms)
Click the image to open in full size.

and the same (each chanel) 15 mn later (hot amp)

I try lots of thing: add big electrolytics caps, change value of bias cap, change the bias courant (130 mA on each mosfet), and no effect.

Here's the schema and the PCB. Can you help me?

(there is a offset control)

Thanks!

Georges (sorry for my bad English)
Old 14th October 2013, 12:03 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
You could be seeing the cap charging currents imposed on a non-zero ground impedance. To see if this is so, please show the wiring of the main 22mF rail caps and how these connect to your PCB?

The only thing I can see potentially wrong in your grounding on the PCB is that you're using a noisy AGND to feed the mute pin - you could try moving this to a quiet ground (from the star). Oh and C14 also should go to the star, not to a noisy AGND. And R5 needs its own quiet ground, since the one it currently has is polluted by the noise current through C11.

Last edited by abraxalito; 14th October 2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:52 AM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abraxalito View Post
You could be seeing the cap charging currents imposed on a non-zero ground impedance. .
This is very likely.
Bad Grounding and particularly sharing a charging circuit with an audio circuit trace or wire.
Old 14th October 2013, 08:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your answer

There is the schema, the PCB and two photos of the power supply with the amplifiers:

There is an flip flop and a soft start on the power supply you can't see on the schema.

The star ground is the five pins near the two bridges rectifier: two pins for amplifier's ground,, two for the HP's an one for the in signal.
The AGND is connected to the earth by a 100 R/100 nF.

For the mute, I try to change with a 5,1 V zener diode and the good value resistor to have 160 A: no effect. I try an another power supply: it's worse!

May be a problem with the inductor just above the ground wire on PCB?

Georges

Last edited by fiscal; 14th October 2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 14th October 2013, 10:02 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Thanks for providing the PCB layout for your PSU. Its clear from this that your 'star ground' isn't one in reality - that's because you have very large capacitor charging currents flowing through it (left to right) and so the tastons to the left will be at a different potential to those to the right.

A star ground really does mean a literal star - all connections to it must meet at an infinitesmally-sized point so that there are no ground impedances in common.
Old 15th October 2013, 08:28 AM   #6
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

I don't know where you got that PSU PCB from, but in my opinion it belongs in the bin.

You would get better performance hardwiring instead and omitting many of the components that you have included.
Old 15th October 2013, 09:04 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

This PSU come from TI Application note AN-1849.

I try something like that to connect the amplifiers ground (with a weding wire): thers's no effect . May be I don't understand something with the "real star ground"

Do you think I have to remove the self (just above the signal ground?)

Thank you!
Old 15th October 2013, 10:28 PM   #8
WSJ is offline WSJ  United States
diyAudio Member

The amplifier open loop gain is 120 dB (1,000,000) minimum. Any signal on the traces connected to pin 5 (- input) will be amplified 1,000,000 times. The long trace on pin 5 is an antenna. Both gain resistors should be connected to pin 5 with the shortest possible trace. This could be accomplished with a trace length of 0.25 or less.
Old 15th October 2013, 11:37 PM   #9
WSJ is offline WSJ  United States
diyAudio Member

Both gain resistors should be connected to - input with the shortest possible trace. This is also the case with discrete amps. Parallel traces next to or under the - input trace will capacitive couple unwanted noise or signals. You can verify the sensitivity of the - input by touching it with a test lead or your finger.

Last edited by WSJ; 15th October 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 16th October 2013, 01:34 AM   #10
Johno is offline Johno  Australia
diyAudio Member

Fiscal,
The common mode choke (the inductor) is one of the main causes of your problems.

It is very strongly coupling the +ve rail current to the -ve rail and vice-verse - remember that in class AB the rail currents are more or less equal but opposite. Short it out and you will see improvement.

If you add inductors to the DC rails they must not couple.

Hide this!Advertise here!