Power consumption of computer speakers - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th October 2013, 05:26 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

One has to calculate the real "environmental cost" (which is more & will be paid dearly by our future generations) as compared to just utility bills.

Back to the topic- I've seen cheaply built traffos having thermal runaway problems leading to burnt windings when not loaded or only secondary disconnected by switch as reported by Andrew T.
Also back in our college days during electrical eng. labs we used to draw eta curve (efficiency curve) for traffos using various dummy loads. The results were (if my memory serves me right) 50% to 95% efficiency under various load conditions.

Last edited by availlyrics; 4th October 2013 at 05:34 AM.
Old 4th October 2013, 08:08 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

The printer also has a switch. So does the monitor. Both are soft touch and therefore leave the supplies running. So does the computer. And the TV, and. . .
We're probably not going to run all over the house unplugging everything.
Therefore I recommend upgrading the room wiring to switch off all outlets, except for the fridge.

P.S.
Here in the USA, the big green colored dual channel switch at Lowes is probably strong enough for this approach. It has survived my hot water heater. So far, with some of the ZuniDigital smart sticks and increasing the number of rooms that switch off completely, the average bill has decreased $43 monthly, despite the electric company raising the rates. The sturdy switches and smarts sticks paid off in 2 months.
Disconnecting is highly effective! Not much else is.
Found out that ceiling level insulation is ineffective, but roof level insulation is highly effective. Currently working on adapting climate controls to a zone system because the garage doesn't need air-conditioned while I'm asleep or out. Also investigating the windows, both the frame and panes to non-thermally-conductive materials instead of the aluminum and glass that are easily identifiable as errors.
When it comes right down to it, there's a LOT of easily identifiable errors that run up our bills.
They are individually small and very numerous. So, catching all those many little errors isn't easy.

Last edited by danielwritesbac; 4th October 2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 5th October 2013, 05:24 PM   #23
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The current consumption varies depending on the supply voltage.
for 230Vac supply ON=36mAac, OFF=35mAac ~8W
for 240Vac supply ON=65mAac, OFF=65mAac ~15W
for 250Vac supply ON=130mAac, OFF=135mAac ~34W
That's some dissipation for a 21.6VA transformer !
It does say "Made in China".
Old 5th October 2013, 05:39 PM   #24
dmills is offline dmills  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

But at least in the UK domestic users pay for real power not apparent power, so the question then is how much of that 34VA is real and how much of that is purely reactive?

Most of that 34VA is **NOT** dissipation!

My betting is that only about 10% or so of that is real power, with the rest being reactive.

Regards, Dan.
Old 5th October 2013, 05:56 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Good Question.
Old 5th October 2013, 08:02 PM   #26
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
The current consumption varies depending on the supply voltage.
for 230Vac supply ON=36mAac, OFF=35mAac ~8W
for 240Vac supply ON=65mAac, OFF=65mAac ~15W
for 250Vac supply ON=130mAac, OFF=135mAac ~34W
That's some dissipation for a 21.6VA transformer !
It does say "Made in China".
These values are crazy, Andrew, that little tranny must be severly underwound.

FWIW a scope pic of a 230V/100VA type, China as well, from a consumer hifi. Test voltage was 250Vac, open secondaries. The transformer was humming audibly at this levels. While basically the idle current is inductive, once the core saturates inductivity decreases, making the current dissipating some real watts in the coil winding resistance while total power is some 10VA. The current peaks are not symmetric to the voltage zero crossings spaced 2 divs apart around the trigger.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 250Vac_open_sat.gif (20.3 KB, 91 views)
Old 5th October 2013, 10:03 PM   #27
dmills is offline dmills  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Ignoring the iron losses (Not necassarily safe) the interesting question becomes, what is the DC winding resistance of the primary?

The copper losses in the unloaded case can then be approximated by I^2R where I is the rms magnetising current observed.

Regards, Dan.
Old 6th October 2013, 09:03 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

The transformer is stamped as 230V.
It appears that DAN have selected a 230V transformer that is possibly not a universal 220/240Vac unit to save costs.
When used on UK's 240Vac which can vary from 226Vac to 254Vac, that the transformer has gone into saturation at the upper end of the working voltage range.
Old 9th October 2013, 06:42 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Many times a 115VAC/230VAC, (or 120/240 for that matter) are exactly the same.

Its very common practice.

UK voltage is unlikely to be quoted as 230 VAC anymore, unless in error. 240-250VAC is the case nowadays.

Our voltage was only ever quoted as 230VAC to align with European AC, since we buy so much of it....

For what its worth, my mains voltage here dips to its lowest at 6am, at 240VAC. Mostly I get 245-255VAC.

Now IF the trafo is 60hz rated then perhaps......

And not forgetting power quality. Lots of harmonics in the mains doesn't help either. Maybe the trafo is rated at pure sine VAs (a joke here) or the core lams are naff steel, or badly insulated. I.e. Daft amounts of coreloss, even before copperloss is factored in.

Since you're measuring a high idle current with the secondary winding OC then it indicates significant iron loss, and NOT copperloss, and an inefficient core, bad lams etc.

Regards,

A trafo abuser in my 9-5

Last edited by mondogenerator; 9th October 2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10th October 2013, 02:53 AM   #30
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by availlyrics View Post
One has to calculate the real "environmental cost" (which is more & will be paid dearly by our future generations) as compared to just utility bills.
The "environmentalist cost" is much higher than that, and is mostly fraudulent waste, with a lot of waste heat dissipated orally, resulting in the only actual cause of any anthropomorphic global warming.

Hide this!Advertise here!