Power consumption of computer speakers - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2013, 05:36 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

To also get the printer and monitor turned off, there's a device commonly referred to as a "Smart Stick" and those are recognizable by having a "Master" outlet that detects whether or not the PC is on, plus several switched outlets for those pesky computer peripherals that never turn off.
For example, this:
Amazon.com : ZuniDigital ZG7000B-15 7 Outlet Digital Smart Green Surge Protector (Black) : Electronics
It is also useful for the home entertainment center, for example, if the TV is "Master" then turning off the TV also knocks out power to 4 more devices so they can't consume electricity around the clock.
Those smarts sticks are also entertaining with lamps, whereby turning off the one you can reach, turns off 4 more.
Old 29th September 2013, 06:26 AM   #12
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Hahaha i measured wattage of my sisters Defender MK35 speakers...
There is switch at the back of the amplified speaker but no one will never reach that far...
So ive been keeping them plugged 24/7...
The bad thing is that it sucks 20-22W when its idle! Thats alot id say but the chipamp is oscillating like a boss and generates alot of heat, the heatsink inside reaches temperature near 80C!
When listening at normal level (1W) Now sure how hot will it get at its max output power, Hahaha that would be impossible the supply voltage of the amp is below +-16V DC and has only 36VA transformer that is made in china, which means, most of the power turns out as heat-.- But the amplifier max output power is 20Wx2 (Woofers 8 ohms and tweeters 4 ohms) NASTY COMBINATION IF CRAP CROSSOVER LIKE SINGLE CAPACITOR..
and chip is LM1876 I might change the transformer for higher voltage one but it would heat the heatsink to the limit and SpiKe would go full retard..
Anyway, I made new PCB for the amp... Rubbish design but i was able to eliminate oscillations now the heatsink is cool and transformer changed. When idle it draws normally below 5W as i still use cheap but russian made transformer.
Old 29th September 2013, 02:34 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielwritesbac View Post
To also get the printer and monitor turned off, there's a device commonly referred to as a "Smart Stick" and those are recognizable by having a "Master" outlet that detects whether or not the PC is on, plus several switched outlets for those pesky computer peripherals that never turn off.
For example, this:
Amazon.com : ZuniDigital ZG7000B-15 7 Outlet Digital Smart Green Surge Protector (Black) : Electronics
It is also useful for the home entertainment center, for example, if the TV is "Master" then turning off the TV also knocks out power to 4 more devices so they can't consume electricity around the clock.
Those smarts sticks are also entertaining with lamps, whereby turning off the one you can reach, turns off 4 more.
to use those in HT set up is scary. the slave outputs often have a very limited output current. they are designed for smal current devices such as printers monitors and pc speakersystems. they can not handle HT amps and poweramps.
Old 29th September 2013, 02:54 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Going back to the OP. The power draw of computer speakers when idle is almost negligible. The DT2200 uses less than a night light when idling.

At 10p / KWH that is 1p per day.

Last edited by KatieandDad; 29th September 2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 29th September 2013, 03:25 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

oh come on...
it ain't rocket sciense to wire up 2 relays to the pc psu +12 line...
or is it ?
Old 29th September 2013, 03:41 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Building a power save would cost me more than two years worth of wasted electricity.
Old 29th September 2013, 04:24 PM   #17
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
oh come on...
it ain't rocket sciense to wire up 2 relays to the pc psu +12 line...
or is it ?
Dat relay! Relay is one hell of a device! I will now go and do it but... I will use usb port and 5V relay, haha!
Old 29th September 2013, 09:06 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

are you sure it can be done ? (LOL)

actualy if one would add up the standby consumption of a printer, amplifier, DAC, active xo, the monitor etc..etc.. whatever.... it may actualy someday return the investment.

not absolute realted, but many phone chargers allso consume more when no phone is connected.
a nother noteworthy thing is the pc psu it self, as some modells have considerable standby power cunsumption.
Old 30th September 2013, 06:03 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Simple fix:
Turn on your desk lamp, and then cut off the switch so the desk lamp cannot be turned off. This makes a desk light, indicator lamp combo function. Plug the desk lamp into a switched power strip along with the computer and peripherals. Use the power strip's switch.

Remember, 10% of an average power bill is standby waste.

P.S.
I'm not heating water while sleeping--the kitchen light switch is a heavy duty dpst model which also operates the water heater (it is highly insulated to retain heat well and so are the pipes). There's another case of room lighting serving dual-duty as indicator lamp.
Old 30th September 2013, 11:15 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

I asked the gas man why my boiler flashes up occasionally, I thought it might have a small heated tank inside. NO, it just warms itself up to stop the boiler getting too cold. Apparently that makes the warm up time for hot water faster.

Hide this!Advertise here!