Help Needed on DIY LM3886 based 5.1 Channel AMP for PC Home Theater

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Kit for 5.1 hometheatre amplifiers
Dts and DOLBY supported
2 optical input
2 coaxial input
3 stereo input
Prologic 1 and prologic 2 supported;)

Attachments

• product-500x500.jpeg
    product-500x500.jpeg
    40.8 KB · Views: 236
Today faced first issue since the amp was built

One channel has stopped producing any audio output except humming noise. All I am hearing is a humming noise from this particular speaker. Other channels are working fine.

Have been fiddling with the amp since last 4 hours but so far no luck in sorting out the issue.

What it can be?

Hi, If you are using LM3886 and every thing is OK, just check if it's not muted... U have to unmute to have output.

Regards
SS

Problem is with the lumim amp only.
Need help @jack u completed 5 lm3886 using single PSU n transformer ?
I hv lumin 500 PSU n 5 lm3886 and transfo 24-0-24 @5A
This lumin is capable to support upto 500 watt and with single input upto 55 0 55 AC
And 3 output to feed 3 amp. Ur suggestion

Br Ved

Speakers making loud pop noise at startup, low pop at shut down, what can be the issue?

Its started happening when opened the amp to checkup a minute buzzing it started making since last few days. Instead to getting able to trace the buzzing, ended up with this loud pop noise.

Once the amp starts up after this pop noise, the audio comes out is perfectly fine from the speakers.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
check the mute/unmute capacitor+resistor.
Thanks, which one are those? The one on the PSU or on the LM3886 board? Also how to check the capacitors?

Also checked for the earth while amp in offline as well as in online. Earth is leaking through out the cabinet. I mean when I check the positive, negative and earth with cabinet earth, they all throw signal of being connected. Positive negative also say they are connected. I don't think its normal?*

Checked for lose wires if any touching the cabinet, couldn't find any. What may be the reason?

These are five LM3886 boards connected to one transformer and PSU so tracing by disconnecting each one of them is tedious task.

Friends, can anyone help to figure out the matter? No replies yet!

Only two of the LM3886 amp boards are making loud pop sound, rest three are quiet and fine. Though sound comes find from all channels once the amp is started.

What it can be? Planning to add delay circuit but dying out of curious why only two boards started making loud pop just recently when they have been running absolutely fine since 3-4 years this amp was built?

Installd speaker protection circuite and the loud thump during power-on has gone but occassionally sub channel makes pop noise during shut-down.

One annoying major bug has now come is the humming noise, which wasn't there in all these years. The hum is minute without input but increases drastically with input jacks plugged in.

Mains earth is not connected with the amp.

All other ground points show connected with each other when checked using multimeter.

Life is pain without good quality music. :(

LM3886 Amplifier Issue - Help needed

Built this LM3886 based 5.1 amplifier long ago. It served fine for years till the three of the LM3886 boards started going silent one after other.

Now left with only one board working. I wonder if the main LM3886 chips gone dead or something else is wrong?

Issues are like one board generates only noise from speaker, other makes speaker pop and then goes silent, one does nothing.

Checked power at legs of the chips and supply seems fine.

Any clues to diagnose and fix the issues?

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• lm3876-schematic-pcb-layout.jpg
    lm3876-schematic-pcb-layout.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_9262.JPG
    IMG_9262.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 97
Fixed one of the board, it turned out lose soldering at speaker output and power input. Now atleast stereo setup is ready.

Is it only me or anyone else? I wonder what magic is hidden beneath these little chips?

Whenever I hear music on LM3886 amps, it feels like they reveal some sweet details which are missed by other amps. Sound stage feels so open and detailed, stereo separation is sweet.

They have everything perfect for home audio. Its amazing to see how the amps can make so much difference, and here I am talking about some good sets of proven amplifiers from variety of breeds like Class AB 5200/1943, Class D 3116 etc.

Now want to know if anything else exists in the similar compact form which is easier to build and can give fight to LM3886?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.