Starting my LM4780 today... Some Q's. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th September 2013, 06:18 PM   #1
mortron is offline mortron  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Starting my LM4780 today... Some Q's.

So I finally have all the essential parts other than a few connectors, and am ready to begin my AudioSector LM4780 kit.

I have a 400VA 22V SumR transformer with dual secondaries, and two rectifier boards worth of parts with my AudioSector kit. Based on a Peter Daniel thread, I seem to recall it best to utilize one rectifier board only for some reason? Is this correct? What would be my best course of action here?

Is there a thread or post that would indicate how to put input potentiometers on the amplifier? I have an imaging issue I currently solve with the use of the power amplifiers input controls.

In the How to Build a Gainclone Power Supply, there is a 35A rectifier used in the safety ground... Is this just a generic one, or would I be using the other one I have the parts for?
http://www.decdun.me.uk/gc/groundlift2.jpg

I have thought about building separates, but am under the assumption there is more to the modification than a few extra power connectors, yes?

Any other advice is welcome, as this will be my first power amplifier build. Thank you. I will be posting pics in my next post.
Old 11th September 2013, 07:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Link doesn't work.
Write down what parts do you have.
Old 11th September 2013, 08:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

What do you mean? The link works fine... It takes you to a diagram of a power supply with a safety ground, no?

I'm not sure what youre asking, I listed the parts I have... a 22V Toroid with dual secondaries, and the LM4780 kit from Peter with two rectifier boards. Naturally I have heatsinks as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (604.2 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by mortron; 11th September 2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 11th September 2013, 08:43 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Nope...Link doesn't work.

But it does now. After I went to the decibel dungeon

Last edited by THUMP LUMP; 11th September 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:16 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

As Thump Lump sad, it didn't. If you go to decibel dungeon, then is starts working, or copy paste the link manualy.
You should use 1 rectifier for 1 amp. That is a simple bridge rectifier, I guess you didn't get one then.
I would suggest to ask Peter here on this forum, or directly about the building.
Old 11th September 2013, 10:33 PM   #6
davym is offline davym  Scotland
diyAudio Member

The link doesn't work here either but from what i can make out, you are describing a diode bridge used as a ground lift (see pic below) i didn't bother with one for my LM3886 but i see the attraction. Your spare PSU rectifier board would be wasted if used in that way (my opinion) if you want a ground lift circuit, a common diode bridge would be perfect.

Unless i am very much mistaken (it happens) the two rectifier boards you have are for making dual mono amp's, in which case you would need two transformers.

I would stick as close to the build instructions as possible though, get it working and make any modifications later.

Good luck!

(copyrighted image removed by moderators)

Last edited by davym; 11th September 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 17th September 2013, 05:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I understand the above schematic is not essential to operation, and will consider it, but moving ahead, I have come to this point:

Boards are populated, said for a jumper and the SMD resistors. I have to go pick up IEC sockets and a fuse holder as well as my connectors but was now wondering if this was the appropriate layout for the chassis.

How far fore or aft should I mount the chip along the sink? They measure 4" high, 10.080" deep and the fins are about 2.75" IIRC. As far as possible from the transformer? I assume these sinks are more than adequate for cooling so centreing them won't be as critical, correct?

For my back panel, am I better to use a non-conductive material or? I am planning a wood faceplate with no switches etc, so will likely require an aluminum backing plate. As well, the star ground that Peter Daniel shows is for a much smaller amplifier, is it still logical to run a buss bar for the star ground? Ill try to find the link...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130917_130108_resized.jpg (621.7 KB, 181 views)
Old 17th September 2013, 06:25 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

These are insanly huge for 1 chip. I think they would handle 3 per side easily, so I would put them to the 1/4 back and 1/3 from the bottom. But anywhere you like, as you sad as far as you can from the transformer. These are radiators for 100W A class map.
For the back you can use conductive plate, only the conenctor have to be insulated, what is usually true.
Also I know audiosector doesn't use psu caps, but you should. Especially for 4780 chips. Without it the rail voltage jumps like a mad horse around.
Old 17th September 2013, 06:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrWagner View Post
Also I know audiosector doesn't use psu caps, but you should. Especially for 4780 chips. Without it the rail voltage jumps like a mad horse around.
My bad , 2x 10uF Panasonic FC Capacitors.

Do you also have them? For that power you should use at least 4, maybe more. I mean did you buy the 2 rectifier boards only or also the full kit? Just because you didn't show the big caps in the first picture.

Last edited by mrWagner; 17th September 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 17th September 2013, 07:53 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The two caps on the rectifoer as supplied woth the kit are 10uf and the ones on the amp boards are 1000uf two per board.

Do I need more? I was under the impression its optional if you employ a snubber psu with large caps.

Hide this!Advertise here!