Replacements for LM383

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A while ago I built an amplifier using a LM383. The sound was quite good for such a simple schematic. I would now like to build 2 of these amplifiers using these chips in bridged mode for pc speakers.

When I searched at national.com, it said they were discontinued.:bawling: Is there an different chips that can go in place of it and do about the same power output using the same schematic?

Hi SoundNerd;

The TDA's are made by ST Microelectronics. FWIW I've got a TDA2030 under construction now, and will post listening experiences when they are available.

However, if you're looking for the LM383, try the NTE 1232. Look it up at http://www.nteinc.com/specs/1200to1299/pdf/nte1232.pdf

My understanding is that it's a drop in replacement, though you'd have to double check the NTE specs to ensure that the pinout and application notes are identical.

Good luck and all the best,
Morse

Today I went shopping for LM383s and found TDA2030s are almost half the price of it. I've heard that LM383 consumes more power and generates more heat, but the output is same as TDA2030. So I guess having TDA2030 is much better thank going for LM383, and plz keep in mind that LM383 is well known as a "battery killer" :D

Today I went shopping for LM383s and found TDA2030s are almost half the price of it. I've heard that LM383 consumes more power and generates more heat, but the output is same as TDA2030. So I guess having TDA2030 is much better thank going for LM383, and plz keep in mind that LM383 is well known as a "battery killer" :D

Are you sure you are talking about LM383's? They were discontinued a LONG time ago. This is a thread from 2003 and it was started AFTER they were discontinued. If you were shopping for them today, of course they would be pricey, they would be considered a hard-to-find spare. Are you in India or something and speaking about locally produced chips?

Are you sure you are talking about LM383's? They were discontinued a LONG time ago. This is a thread from 2003 and it was started AFTER they were discontinued. If you were shopping for them today, of course they would be pricey, they would be considered a hard-to-find spare. Are you in India or something and speaking about locally produced chips?

Well that's a very close guess friend:) I live in Sri Lanka. I'm pretty sure they were expensive because production is discontinued. The store had 4-5 of them left. I feel kinda lucky to see those old stuff, But if you're really looking to buy one, I've seen some chinese clones of it. But don't expect them to be robust as the original ones.

Self Destruction

Hi there,

A TDA2002 8 Watts out or a TDA2003 at 10 Watts these are very similar to the lm383 in the same TO220 package and are still commonly available and there is information on the net for these devices .

Hope this helps

Anthony Kirby

Those LM383/TDA 2002's had a bad habit of self-destructing. They are
great amps, if used properly. They are unconditionally stable up to a
voltage gain of 10. Run them at excessive gain and they will oscillate
at an ultrasonic frequency, over dissipate, and destruct because the
internal protection system can not squelch the uncontrolled oscillation!
I'm pretty sure the TDA2003 is a great sub for the TDA2002. I have a
few that I'll use for that purpose, eventually.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.