Made a 2 speaker shoebox "boombox" want to amplify

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have no experience with wiring,speakers,onhms etc,..but know how to use a multimeter for certain automotive related repairs..

I decided to try and make a 2 speaker stereo, and fit them in my shoebox,..eventually got everything wired to a 3.5mm headphone jack to use with my phone..powered on and works,..but low volume for my taste

The way i wired the speakers was negative to negative from each speaker, with 2 wires from the headphone jack connected to those wires, and each positive of each speaker connected to 2 wires on the headphone jack,..so if i decide to cut off the jack ive got left(-)(+) right(-)(+) to solder onto an amplifier(Did i wire my speakers series parralel,?) (4 wires total on headphone jack)

My question is each speaker is 3 ohms 2 watts max,..what kind of amplifier can i make or buy that will work with these using a 9v/12v battery,..ive got a LM386 DIY , and PAM8403 3 watt dual channel bookmarked...i want to push 1 watt to each speaker and 2.5 ohms on each speaker(sound right?)

If someone could make a wire diagram of my setup with a added amplifier configuration,

im new to this stuff, and decided to start learning

Attachments

• IMG_20130827_181014.jpg
    IMG_20130827_181014.jpg
    441.2 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_20130827_181023.jpg
    IMG_20130827_181023.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20130827_181107.jpg
    IMG_20130827_181107.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Place a divider in the box to separate R from L.

Find a 5 ohm 5watt resistor and place in series with each of the + speaker leads and try a pair of LM386 amps.

Have fun learning.

Whats a divider?

heres my speaker setup in a circuit

Mount the resistor like this? and how would i wire both LM386's?

Attachments

• speaker-box 1.JPEG
    speaker-box 1.JPEG
    37.5 KB · Views: 167
  • speaker-box 2.JPEG
    speaker-box 2.JPEG
    62.9 KB · Views: 63
  • unnamed-circuit-2.png
    unnamed-circuit-2.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 45
Theres no need for any freakin resistor!
The way Id wire this thing it would look like this:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

print screen

Then wire it to ur 386, solder both signal wires together and you get mono signal.
2 gnds too..

If you want stereo... Then theres no need anyway. You need 2 speakers but they should be alot further away from eachother.

Last edited:
I see since i would wire them in series i equal the 6 ohms of the speakers and decrease watts needed, to get 6 ohms for both..then i can push 4+ watts without getting hot..., if i want stereo through the amp i would wire them in parallel which would defeat/burn the amp? so then i would wire each speaker into 1 lm386 each and tie both amps into 1 switch,1 potentialmeter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.