Amplifier noise - wind blowing sound on one channel only (sample inside)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I bought an old Sony MHC stereo system from 1997. It needed a little repair and I was happy to get it working. But I'm left with this problem on right channel. I can hear a constant hum - sometimes very quiet so I can barely hear it, and sometimes audible in a quiet room. It doesn't get louder when turning up the volume control. It sounds exactly like wind blowing into a microphone.
The only thing I tried was reattaching flat cables. The amplifier has STK circuit.
I uploaded a sample so you can hear for yourself. It's very quiet so you might want to increase the volume to hear it. No funny surprises (sudden loud sounds, crackling, etc).
If you heard anything like this before, maybe you can tell me what to look for.

Attachments

• sample.zip
    570.6 KB · Views: 138
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It could literally be anything from a leaky cap (like a ceramic disc type) to a noisy semiconductor junction, or even a dry of some sort.

Those kind of faults are really hard to pin down. You either need a scope or do some shorting of the signal at various points to see where the noise enters the signal chain.

I will definitely try to trace it when I find some more time. The noise actually disappears when I turn the volume completely down. But even going up 1 level (out of 30) triggers the noise which stays constant throughout the entire volume scale. This leads me to believe that there's something wrong in the pre amp stage.

Last edited:
Fair point. It is similar symptoms with a peavey but it’s nit a specific peavey problem. I’ve read of similar cases in several forums but no o e ever comes back and posts what the problem was in the end and there is no amp tech anywhere near me (I’m in Norway) that I can find. So I’m trying to figure out what causes this symptom in an amp (any amp). If it’s capacitors, tubes, pots etc.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I replied back in post #2 after having listened to the file provided and the same advice holds (such as it is).

Its very non specific and could be caused by any number of things. You could have the same type of noise caused by a leaky cap in one unit and a noisy semiconductor in another.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.