Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
davym is offline davym  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Default TDA2009A

Has anyone on here had experience of the above, I like the sound from this low power chip (although you need efficient speakers) but I never see anyone using it.

Just wondering why as it seems a very cheap way to get a decent sounding wee amp.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:09 PM   #2
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

It sounds pretty good in bridge conf.
Dual mono would be great, the only problem with single chip stereo conf is output capacitor, this one may ruin the deep bass...
Old 16th August 2013, 10:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I bet it would sound decent bridged, I aint tried messing around with it beyond a simple stereo config, I don't see many people posting about it so I didn't take it any further. Wonder what they would sound like in parallel?
Old 17th August 2013, 12:20 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Its not currently a fashionable chip though I agree that CFB parts in general sound better than ones with LTP input stages. If you want to parallel it then pay attention to the flatness of the FR at the bottom end. Since a large cap is used to get decent bass response with such a low impedance FB network, you'll need to go to a cap considerably bigger in value to match the FR of the amps you want to parallel. Otherwise they'll fight each other in the bass..... I'd recommend sharing resistors no smaller than 0.33ohms.
Old 17th August 2013, 03:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Your on your way to a design here seriously though I do think the chip has a nice tone and decent clarity but I would need a lot of help to make it workable and I don't have access to a scope anymore to see what's happening.

Also I have a few other projects on the go at present, shame no one has produced a board for them but there are so many amp chips around it's not surprising. Also many people seem to think they need enough power to be able to arc weld with this chip aint for them
Old 17th August 2013, 03:34 PM   #6
Mihkus is offline Mihkus  Estonia
diyAudio Member

The coolest thing you can do is to design your own PCB board!
This helps you to understund how the whole thing works and its probably the best way we can help you.
Check things like star grounding, caps near the chip, thin loopless feedback and noninverting input rails.

Its very simple with ExpressPCB, you can make your own components and such.

Its going to work if you make the PCB board, Ive failed many times on protoboards
They are horrible for beginners but yet, it educates alot.

Making the PCB board is pretty simple and you only need few things.

Chipamps are supersimple and great sounding devices until you find valve and transistor amplifiers, they are smooth and they can be done by beginner.

But good luck!
Old 17th August 2013, 03:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I tried TDA2009A on a vero board/ perf board, following the datasheet with a single supply.
Sound is pretty decent with a good preamplifier. I mainly use it for audio tracer, or testing new preamp build etc.

But I prefer TDA2030 or TDA2050 over its sound quality.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TDA2009A-on-VeroBoard.jpg (49.6 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by csom; 17th August 2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 17th August 2013, 03:52 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

With any chip amp good circuit layout is crucial to get the best sound quality.

I am building a Brian GT LM3886 chipamp at present, I cheated and bought the kit, no way I could design or make boards anywhere near that good and having a company make one off boards for me is too expensive. I don't have access to a workshop anymore either which is a complete pain. Just need the case to arrive from China and I can finish the LM3886. Then i'm going to put together a passive pre and a valve driven Cmoy.

Next year I would like to build something by Nelson Pass but low budget means it'll probably have to be the amp camp kit, I like the idea and look of them and on reflection my main speakers are 89db in a 5 x 4m room so the low power probably wont be much of a problem.

Nothing beats hands on learning.

Last edited by davym; 17th August 2013 at 03:59 PM.
Old 17th August 2013, 04:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I made an active stereo tri-amp system with LM3886 chips using Mr Mile's design posted here.
I have literally thrown away my earlier discrete transistor/mosfet amps.
I am very impressed with the sound of LM3886.
Old 17th August 2013, 06:01 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks Som that's nice to know.

I wish I could make my own like you can but i'll settle for building good quality kit's for now.

Hide this!Advertise here!