TDA2009A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Its not currently a fashionable chip though I agree that CFB parts in general sound better than ones with LTP input stages. If you want to parallel it then pay attention to the flatness of the FR at the bottom end. Since a large cap is used to get decent bass response with such a low impedance FB network, you'll need to go to a cap considerably bigger in value to match the FR of the amps you want to parallel. Otherwise they'll fight each other in the bass..... I'd recommend sharing resistors no smaller than 0.33ohms.

Your on your way to a design here :D seriously though I do think the chip has a nice tone and decent clarity but I would need a lot of help to make it workable and I don't have access to a scope anymore to see what's happening.

Also I have a few other projects on the go at present, shame no one has produced a board for them but there are so many amp chips around it's not surprising. Also many people seem to think they need enough power to be able to arc weld with ;) this chip aint for them :D

The coolest thing you can do is to design your own PCB board!
This helps you to understund how the whole thing works and its probably the best way we can help you.
Check things like star grounding, caps near the chip, thin loopless feedback and noninverting input rails.

Its very simple with ExpressPCB, you can make your own components and such.

Its going to work if you make the PCB board, Ive failed many times on protoboards
They are horrible for beginners but yet, it educates alot.

Making the PCB board is pretty simple and you only need few things.

Chipamps are supersimple and great sounding devices until you find valve and transistor amplifiers, they are smooth and they can be done by beginner.

But good luck!

I tried TDA2009A on a vero board/ perf board, following the datasheet with a single supply.
Sound is pretty decent with a good preamplifier. I mainly use it for audio tracer, or testing new preamp build etc.

But I prefer TDA2030 or TDA2050 over its sound quality.

Attachments

• TDA2009A-on-VeroBoard.jpg
    TDA2009A-on-VeroBoard.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
With any chip amp good circuit layout is crucial to get the best sound quality.

I am building a Brian GT LM3886 chipamp at present, I cheated and bought the kit, no way I could design or make boards anywhere near that good and having a company make one off boards for me is too expensive. I don't have access to a workshop anymore either which is a complete pain. Just need the case to arrive from China and I can finish the LM3886. Then i'm going to put together a passive pre and a valve driven Cmoy.

Next year I would like to build something by Nelson Pass but low budget means it'll probably have to be the amp camp kit, I like the idea and look of them and on reflection my main speakers are 89db in a 5 x 4m room so the low power probably wont be much of a problem.

Nothing beats hands on learning.

Last edited:
Thanks Som that's nice to know.

I wish I could make my own like you can but i'll settle for building good quality kit's for now.

You are most welcome. But trust me, making your own excellent quality PCB is really a child's play. I mean even myself, with almost zero technical knowledge, can do it.
I print the design with a laser printer using a photo paper following the toner transfer method and etch it with Ferric Chloride. Then drill with a micro drill. This is all the infrastructure I have in my bedroom lab. :) And I am really very satisfied with the result. I learned the method from here at DIYAUDIO and watching videos on youtube.
Here is a snap of my recent home made pcb.

I can bet you can make much much better PCBs at home than I do.

And wish you all the very best for your on-going project. :) Welcome to the LM3886 family. :D

Attachments

• DIY-PCB-QUALITY.jpg
    DIY-PCB-QUALITY.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Thanks Som.

That is a very nice looking board you have there, nice thick tracks, I am impressed!
Thank you so much. :)

I last made a pcb back in the early 90s at college during an electronics course I dropped out of due to lack of cash, I had to find full time work sadly.
Identical reason here, lack of cash and also poor health condition. But with the kind help of all of you here I am learning each day, that's the best part of DIY. :)
When I complete a project/ build- that gives truly professional results, the feeling is priceless. :)

Strange, I was also quite ill while doing my course!

I know what you mean about diy, I am currently enjoying a 2 chip C moy headphone amp which I built from one of Freds Amps kit's and fitted in an enclosure. It sounds stunning running off a well regulated 12v supply instead of a 9v battery.

Cheers

Davy

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.