Upgrading Op Amps in Audio Equipment - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th June 2013, 03:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Upgrading Op Amps in Audio Equipment

Hi All,

I just stumbled upon this and thought it might be helpful and/or interesting to many here. It's an article posted on "Precision Amplifiers" forum at the TI site about Opamp rolling and the hazards of doing so, stuff I've been trying to caution people on for a long time with (apparently) little success. It's a good read, and also includes a short list of suggested substitute Opamps.

Upgrading Op Amps in Audio Equipment - Precision Amplifier Wiki - Precision Amplifiers - TI E2E Community

Mike
Old 1st July 2013, 04:34 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The words "Not available in DIP package" appear way to often in that article.

Does anybody make an adapter?
Old 1st July 2013, 04:43 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

yes
Old 1st July 2013, 04:50 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

There are SMT to DIP adapters available, or you can roll your own. But there can be problems in doing that with some high speed chips, excesive lead or trace length can cause instability and/or oscillation at high frequencies. As the article says, rolling opamps in search of audio nirvana is fraught with hazards that can cause all kinds of problems if one doesn't pay attention to details.

Mike
Old 1st July 2013, 10:11 PM   #5
Zero D is offline Zero D  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

@ Michael Bean

Thanks for the link

Quote:
Loudthud

The words "Not available in DIP package" appear way to often in that article
Yeah, i noticed that too
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:30 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

The cynic in me says it's a "good article" if you enjoy reading boiler plate CYA and infomercials. When I roll op amps, I'm not pretending to be in search of "audio nirvana," but rather just want a POS receiver to sound tolerable for under $4 -- and with OPA1642 f.ex, it does.
Now that TI has bought BB and National, do they even have any competition left...? I notice they're not recommending any National (LM-numbered) parts.

Otoh, the optimist reads: "FET for FET, and BP for BP, good to go!"
Old 3rd July 2013, 07:50 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Andersonix,

So you disagree, it's OK to more or less randomly replace an existing opamp with another "superior one" without taking into consideration the circuit it's going into, hoping to get an improvement?

Mike
Old 3rd July 2013, 08:11 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Unfortunately, this selection list is kind of pointless. It does NOT address anything that would really make a difference.
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:00 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bean View Post
Andersonix,

So you disagree, it's OK to more or less randomly replace an existing opamp with another "superior one" without taking into consideration the circuit it's going into, hoping to get an improvement?

Mike
Are you asking the cynic or the idealist in me? Either way, your question has too many incomplete hypothetical scenarios...

My first op amp experiment did indeed result in a smoked tweeter, but since implementing the simplest of precautions (as suggested in the op amp data sheet and helpful pointers here on DIYAudio), I have had smashing success replacing old op amps with new under-$5 ones (LM4562 and OPA1642). So far, I'm winning 5-1 overall, 5-0 this millennium...

Go for it!
Old 3rd July 2013, 09:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I don't really care about the list, what's important is the subject matter of the article.

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!