Mini My Ref Rev C

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But why not build the FE like this, with optimizations, compensation and SMD parts, but keep the PSU (and even speaker protection) on separate boards?

It is obviously possible but, IMHO, it wouldn't be any better.

On the contrary the LM3886 PS of the FE makes use of not commonly used PCB techniques (in DIY audio pcbs) like striplines which are supposed to improve his performance.

I don't have the equipment to measure those differences but FE's subjective results seem to confirm my choice ;)

Also, KSTR tested (measured) FE beta boards with good results regarding EMI performance of the PS and the board in geenral.

Thanks for the explanation, I learned yet another thing.

I've just read a part of a long discussion on power supplies by some distinguished members of this forum, and the conclusion is that best power supplies are NOT built on separate boards, but comprise of putting the capacitors as close to the ICs or transistors as possible, calculating trace R and L, paralleling the right value caps etc...

A long read, but they actually quantified the reasons why their amps sound better, and some of which coincide with the FE version optimizations. I'll get back to reading now...

D

Deleted member 148505

Was able to test the amp today, I got 45Watts into 4 ohms resistive dummy load using 8Amps 24-0-24VAC transformer. (Single channel driven)

As for the sound, It has a wide soundstage and superb detail, the instruments sounded lively.
I compared it to my LM3875, this one has more detail and the bass has more punch. The LM3875 is much softer/smoother though.

For me the sound character is much like BAKSA 50 but with more refinement, more details and more accurate bass. :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 387
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 382
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 375
Hi,

That's a very nice build by the way.

I'm new to Chip amps. I'm going to build a simple version first to see how it goes. But it's interesting to read about other designs. This design appears to use the LM3886 as a current driver and another opamp for the voltage gain.

So when listening to this amplifier I assume that it is the LM318 that 'sets the tone' for the sound and not the LM3886 ?

Was able to test the amp today, I got 45Watts into 4 ohms resistive dummy load using 8Amps 24-0-24VAC transformer. (Single channel driven)

As for the sound, It has a wide soundstage and superb detail, the instruments sounded lively.
I compared it to my LM3875, this one has more detail and the bass has more punch. The LM3875 is much softer/smoother though.

For me the sound character is much like BAKSA 50 but with more refinement, more details and more accurate bass. :)

so which layout did you use? is it on the post #31?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 148505

I had a request from a friend in a local forum to create a My Ref Rev C layout which uses an LM318 supply similar to fremen, and putting ample space for input capacitor. I also provided a jumper (computer motherboard/harddisk jumper) so that the input capacitor can be bypassed easily. This one also uses a better circuit for speaker protect.

Size: 3.9" x 3.9"

PS: For my personal use only, not for sale. Only showed here for gallery purpose.

Attachments

• 13027266135_f02dc87778_o.jpg
    13027266135_f02dc87778_o.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 468
  • 13027422733_444de7fa2e_o.jpg
    13027422733_444de7fa2e_o.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 450
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.