Mini My Ref Rev C - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th July 2013, 09:55 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

Here's the latest layout.

Nothing has changed except for the spacing and alignment of the components.. I also added a jumper for input capacitor.
So if anyone will use a preamp that has no DC output, they can bypass the capacitor by shorting the jumper.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MyRefC-Jlester-Bottom (1.965 x 2.625).pdf (17.7 KB, 97 views)
File Type: pdf MyRefC-Jlester-All(values).pdf (26.3 KB, 93 views)
File Type: pdf MyRefC-Jlester-Overlay.pdf (14.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: pdf MyRefC-Jlester-Top (1.965 x 2.625).pdf (23.0 KB, 78 views)

Last edited by jlester87; 29th July 2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 29th July 2013, 02:58 PM   #32
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlester87 View Post
Here's the latest layout.

Nothing has changed except for the spacing and alignment of the components.. I also added a jumper for input capacitor.
So if anyone will use a preamp that has no DC output, they can bypass the capacitor by shorting the jumper.
if one uses a source that already has a DC blocking capacitor on the output then one does not need a second DC blocker. In this situation one can short out the second blocker with a jumper.

This does NOT apply to a Source that presents a zero or near zero output offset that has resistance to audio ground.
That would change the the output offset of the amplifier if the DC operating conditions were changed by shorting out the only DC blocker.

Last edited by AndrewT; 29th July 2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 30th July 2013, 08:21 AM   #33
diyAudio Member

Anyone should be responsible enough to check the DC offset of the amp after removing the DC blocker cap, and connecting to unknown source.
Old 8th August 2013, 04:30 PM   #34
iggy111 is offline iggy111  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Default Mini My-Ref sound?

Could anyone comment on the sound this mini-my produces? I'm guessing it can't be as good as the real thing, but a quick comparison between the two and a "stock" gainclone maybe?

Buying all the parts and soldering SMD would be a real effort for My-Ref, so I'm thinking in building this version first. There is always something to learn in the process.
Old 9th August 2013, 07:50 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

I think this mini version is an option if you already have existing power supply and speaker protection boards. If you don't have the power supply and speaker protect, the full my_ref would be a better option. By SMD, I assume that you have the FE version in mind. As and alternative, you can look for X-caliber version of Rudi and build the board yourself with through-hole components if SMD is a bit daunting for you. I have, and I'm very happy with the result.

But I admit, I would like to try the FE someday.
Old 9th August 2013, 01:19 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Well I would use the PSU from my GC, I don't see why I should build a new one, the only difference is the voltage, so only a new trafo is needed.
Velleman speaker protection is always available and cheap, so no problems there.

Where would you position this version soundwise, compared to RevC, FE and X-Calibre? I know it's not a popular question, I'm just trying to put things in perspective - ie is it worth experimenting with cheaper solutions or go for the best one, since my GC is really working fine right now
Old 9th August 2013, 04:18 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

This would be a Revc minus the power supply and speaker protect. It uses MP's original zener regulators for the smaller IC.
Old 10th August 2013, 01:01 AM   #38
diyAudio Member

Yes, this one uses the original schem of Mauro Penasa's RevC. This should not deviate that much from the sound of the original. Plus, you can choose different power supply implementations.
Old 10th August 2013, 11:09 PM   #39
Reality first!
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy111 View Post
Buying all the parts and soldering SMD would be a real effort for My-Ref, so I'm thinking in building this version first. There is always something to learn in the process.
The original My_Ref is a through hole design.

It's my version (FE - Fremen Edition) that have SMD parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy111 View Post
Where would you position this version soundwise, compared to RevC, FE and X-Calibre?
I can't say for sure, since the LM3886 decoupling is different from My_Ref original one... but I expect that jlester version should sound similar to a standard Rev C.

The X-Calibre should sound a bit better than the original RevC thanks to the double diode bridge and paralleled smoothing caps.

But the Fremen Edition sound (way) better than Rev C thanks to an optimized PCB and differerent grounding, LM318 regulator, conpensation, and use of SMD parts, etc.
Old 11th August 2013, 11:09 AM   #40
diyAudio Member

I would rather have the PSU on a separate board anyway, which makes it easier to build a better one, with regulators or without, and provide a better grounding.

But why not build the FE like this, with optimizations, compensation and SMD parts, but keep the PSU (and even speaker protection) on separate boards?

Hide this!Advertise here!