Wiring RCA & Binding posts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Are there any resources or guides for wiring the RCA and speaker binding posts? Should the wiring to the amp circuit be shielded? What thickness should the wire be - like is thicker better? Stranded or solid core wire?

Does anyone have any experience with RCA female connectors and binding posts like the following(posted below)? For testing I have just kinda dropped a blob of solder into the hole and stuck the wire in, then for the ground done something similar where I just wrap the wire around and dump some solder on.

I haven't wired one of the binding posts yet, but i'm thinking I will do something similar - dump solder into the hole and stick a wire in.

6pcs X Gold RCA Connector Female Chassis AV Socket Mount FOR Audio AMP DIY Hifi | eBay

and

2 PCS Gold Plated Tube AMP Speaker Terminal Stand Long | eBay

Too bad that your links went to the main page of ebay. But in your question about RCA wiring. Inputs are "very" crucial, any noise picked by the inputs (RCA) will be amplified. so for that reason We should pay attention to this matter and also the infamous "ground loops". in my case I always use triple shield "microphone wire" for the inputs. I "dress" the wires and put them as far as possible from AC lines and transformers. There are other members here that will use other kind of wires for the inputs. I have seen some use solid wires. I would say the trick is: Use shielded wires, put them as far as possible to any wire caring ac or transformers and try to get them as short as possible from inputs to amp boards.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link.

I thought I was the only person with this problem, but if you right click the link and do copy or open link in new tab/window it should work. I have to do this for every ebay link posted on the forums :p

What do you mean by 'dress' ?

Dress the wires is when you put them neatly tight agains chassis, also you twist wires that carry AC only. NOT floating around like a plate of spaghetti.

PS: "Dressing" the wires it is not only for "esthetic" appearance...it is also to prevent E.M.I and R.F.I. other way all those wires will act as an antenna and catch all those nasty staff.

Last edited:
From RCA to circuit input, shielded twisted pair is good, with the shield ("drain wire") connected to the chassis at the input end and not connected to anything at the other end. RCA's signal ground must not be connected to chassis. RCA jack must be insulated from chassis. Instead of shielded twisted pair, two wires can be used, twisted tightly together (at least four twists per inch), ALL the way to each end.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.