12v 4 Channel Amp, Ideally for a car.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

I am in the market for an amplifier for a car based set-up.
Im attempting to build an all in one Android based car pc with 3G and etc.

The issue I have currently is a gap where the amp should be due to not being able to find something suitable. Which is where I turn to you guys.

To break it down:
The power comes straight from the battery, but is switched by the ignition supply though the ISO connectors. The system only powers up when the ignition is on. From that, I have 4 power connections, 2 x 12v outputs, for the preamps and amplifier, routed off before a 5v 5A regulator for the motherboard and a 5V case fan.

The motherboard itself has 2 stereo jack outputs which I have used to low noise stereo preamps to give them a little kick before they are properly amplified.

This is where the problem is. I need a 12v powered (ideally), 4 channel amp which has a reasonable wattage per channel which will give the at least same volume output that a stock head unit might give, if not better. The speakers themselves have a 90w (5 inch) and 180w (6inch) threshold, but Im sure thats not an issue. All 4 speakers are 4Ω.

Can anyone advise me further on the situation and any advice on what I should get? I'd like the amp to be as small as possible, 100x60mm or less.

Thanks in Advance
JuzzTF

Last edited:
JussTF - I just built and tested (literally an hour ago) a 4 channel amp using TA8251AH. I use a 96.52 x 63.5mm (3.8 x 2.5 inch) PCB by default, but there would be no problem shrinking this.

Sorry for the crappy photo ... I mounted this to an aluminum box for testing.

I cannot comment on how this compares to the original head unit.

Attachments

• 2013-06-11 02.11.01.jpg
    2013-06-11 02.11.01.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 146
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.