A very cheap TDA2030 Kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2013, 12:15 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to activexp Send a message via AIM to activexp Send a message via MSN to activexp Send a message via Yahoo to activexp
Default A very cheap TDA2030 Kit

A very cheap TDA2030 kit from China complete with case, fittings, transformer, knobs, hardware etc.

Click the image to open in full size.

The heatsink was not pre-drilled and an insulated mounting kit for the TDA2030 was not supplied although I understand that it isn't necessary with this chip.

The PCB is basic. The part numbers are marked but not the values. No connecting wire is included or any means of wiring up the transformer/mains lead/on-off switch. It's up to the builder to sort that out.

The actual kit cost was 7 UK pounds or about 10 USD plus a similar amount for shipping. Even then I think it is remarkable value for money.

I will post updates as I progress with the build.
Old 6th June 2013, 12:22 PM   #2
Lo_Tse is offline Lo_Tse  Canada
diyAudio Member

Wow!! This is probably the cheapest I have ever seen, with the case and transformer thrown in

Please keep us posted on how it work out.

Regards,
Old 6th June 2013, 01:49 PM   #3
raul_77 is offline raul_77  Europe
diyAudio Member

Please, can you post the Ebay link? I have made a search and can not find the kit.
Old 6th June 2013, 02:01 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to activexp Send a message via AIM to activexp Send a message via MSN to activexp Send a message via Yahoo to activexp
It's on Smalltao here:

Taobao Agent TDA2030 amplifier kit - US $ 10.91
Old 6th June 2013, 02:19 PM   #5
raul_77 is offline raul_77  Europe
diyAudio Member

thank you very much!
Old 6th June 2013, 04:33 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Even if half the parts are total junk, which they probably are at this price, this is one hell of a deal.

The transformer is puny. You will only get a few watts out of this kit. I would build it and see how it works. Then I would throw some better parts at it, starting with the transformer and related power supply parts. Evan a salvage transformer out of a cheap tabletop "hi-fi" would be a quantum improvement.

Does the kit use the datasheet circuit? If so, a few parts swaps will make a big difference.

I am sure that you could greatly improve the performance of this kit, but it will triple or quadruple the original price.
Old 6th June 2013, 04:54 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by activexp View Post
They have some real bargains, check this out Taobao Agent Vacuum Tube Amplifiers - US $ 25.27 and they have lots of 'em too!
Old 6th June 2013, 05:48 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
They have some real bargains, check this out Taobao Agent Vacuum Tube Amplifiers - US $ 25.27 and they have lots of 'em too!
No freakin way are they selling a McIntosh for $25. If so I would buy a hundred of them and flip them for $500 apiece (keep a couple for myself ).

I agree that some of their kits are stellar bargains. The amplifier shown is worth the price for the case and knobs alone. With a litlle spray paint it would look great.
Old 6th June 2013, 05:57 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiosmuck View Post
I don't believe that product exists Or if it does the shipping will be much more than $0.66

If you click on the link on the right 'This product on Taobao.com' you get a product not found message
Old 6th June 2013, 06:35 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie D View Post
Even if half the parts are total junk, which they probably are at this price, this is one hell of a deal.

The transformer is puny. You will only get a few watts out of this kit. I would build it and see how it works. Then I would throw some better parts at it, starting with the transformer and related power supply parts. Evan a salvage transformer out of a cheap tabletop "hi-fi" would be a quantum improvement.

Does the kit use the datasheet circuit? If so, a few parts swaps will make a big difference.

I am sure that you could greatly improve the performance of this kit, but it will triple or quadruple the original price.
Many parts are junky, the heatsink is a piece of very thin box section, probably adequate though. The case itself is also very thin sheet and easily bent but again it does the job. I expected a black case but smalltao e-mailed me to say that black was sold out and was gray OK. Well yes but in reality it's cream! I have already applied black vinyl 'veneer' and with any luck it might look quite smart

What is slightly weird is the oversize cut-out for the on/off switch. I've had to make a mounting plate for it.

Yeah, the transformer is puny and I'll consider something better if the amp actually works.

Looking at the circuit diagram, some components have been downgraded. The smoothing caps are shown as 4700uF but you get 3300uF in the kit. There may be other downgrades I haven't spotted yet.

At the end of the day it's something cheap and cheerful to tinker with rather than a serious piece of kit so my expectations aren't high.

Hide this!Advertise here!