A very cheap TDA2030 Kit

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A very cheap TDA2030 kit from China complete with case, fittings, transformer, knobs, hardware etc.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The heatsink was not pre-drilled and an insulated mounting kit for the TDA2030 was not supplied although I understand that it isn't necessary with this chip.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The PCB is basic. The part numbers are marked but not the values. No connecting wire is included or any means of wiring up the transformer/mains lead/on-off switch. It's up to the builder to sort that out.

The actual kit cost was 7 UK pounds or about 10 USD plus a similar amount for shipping. Even then I think it is remarkable value for money.

I will post updates as I progress with the build.

Even if half the parts are total junk, which they probably are at this price, this is one hell of a deal.

The transformer is puny. You will only get a few watts out of this kit. I would build it and see how it works. Then I would throw some better parts at it, starting with the transformer and related power supply parts. Evan a salvage transformer out of a cheap tabletop "hi-fi" would be a quantum improvement.

Does the kit use the datasheet circuit? If so, a few parts swaps will make a big difference.

I am sure that you could greatly improve the performance of this kit, but it will triple or quadruple the original price.

They have some real bargains, check this out Taobao Agent Vacuum Tube Amplifiers - US $ 25.27 and they have lots of 'em too!

No freakin way are they selling a McIntosh for $25. If so I would buy a hundred of them and flip them for $500 apiece (keep a couple for myself :D).

I agree that some of their kits are stellar bargains. The amplifier shown is worth the price for the case and knobs alone. With a litlle spray paint it would look great.

Even if half the parts are total junk, which they probably are at this price, this is one hell of a deal.

The transformer is puny. You will only get a few watts out of this kit. I would build it and see how it works. Then I would throw some better parts at it, starting with the transformer and related power supply parts. Evan a salvage transformer out of a cheap tabletop "hi-fi" would be a quantum improvement.

Does the kit use the datasheet circuit? If so, a few parts swaps will make a big difference.

I am sure that you could greatly improve the performance of this kit, but it will triple or quadruple the original price.

Many parts are junky, the heatsink is a piece of very thin box section, probably adequate though. The case itself is also very thin sheet and easily bent but again it does the job. I expected a black case but smalltao e-mailed me to say that black was sold out and was gray OK. Well yes but in reality it's cream! I have already applied black vinyl 'veneer' and with any luck it might look quite smart:)

What is slightly weird is the oversize cut-out for the on/off switch. I've had to make a mounting plate for it.

Yeah, the transformer is puny and I'll consider something better if the amp actually works.

Looking at the circuit diagram, some components have been downgraded. The smoothing caps are shown as 4700uF but you get 3300uF in the kit. There may be other downgrades I haven't spotted yet.

At the end of the day it's something cheap and cheerful to tinker with rather than a serious piece of kit so my expectations aren't high.

If the amp sounds anything like this character:

T2EGpSXaxbXXXXXXXX_!!38676472.jpg

we're in for a treat!

;)

PS How good are your eyes?

T1cvRXXbdenIDZK5jb_124358.jpg

Last edited:
No freakin way are they selling a McIntosh for $25. If so I would buy a hundred of them and flip them for $500 apiece (keep a couple for myself :D).

I agree that some of their kits are stellar bargains. The amplifier shown is worth the price for the case and knobs alone. With a litlle spray paint it would look great.

Its weight is just 11 g. I think what they sell is a photo.

Many parts are junky, the heatsink is a piece of very thin box section, probably adequate though. The case itself is also very thin sheet and easily bent but again it does the job. I expected a black case but smalltao e-mailed me to say that black was sold out and was gray OK. Well yes but in reality it's cream! I have already applied black vinyl 'veneer' and with any luck it might look quite smart:)

What is slightly weird is the oversize cut-out for the on/off switch. I've had to make a mounting plate for it.

Yeah, the transformer is puny and I'll consider something better if the amp actually works.

Looking at the circuit diagram, some components have been downgraded. The smoothing caps are shown as 4700uF but you get 3300uF in the kit. There may be other downgrades I haven't spotted yet.

At the end of the day it's something cheap and cheerful to tinker with rather than a serious piece of kit so my expectations aren't high.

IMHO, at the price you paid, just can't beat it. Yes, the components look cheap and some of them might be fake. For newbie like me, this is a perfect learning piece. I look at this as a chance to improve my soldering and assembling skills. One can also practice how to inspect the assembled piece i.e. correct voltages and currents at different parts of the circuit. At the end, if it actually sounds OK. it is a bonus.

Have fun!

Regards,

Thanks for the schematic. There is nothing remarkable about it.

The schematic does not indicate any provisions for noise ground vs power ground. Does the circuit board at least have a decent ground scheme?

When I design audio circuits, I provide a noise ground that is decoupled from the power ground by a 10 ohm resistor. But if I use it with commercial equipment that has no such provision, whether it is a commercial CD player, preamp, or power amp, my efforts have been at least partially negated.

This seems to follow the consumer grade mantra that ground is ground. Since we design and build our own stuff here, we can do so much better than that. Cheap and simple tweaks can make a huge difference.

It will be very instructive to build this amplifier, see how it performs, and maybe replace a few parts with better ones. But nothing will make it equal to what you can design and build yourself, with the same parts count.

I am curious to know how this project turns out. It looks like a great introduction to electronics.

I don't believe that product exists :rolleyes: Or if it does the shipping will be much more than $0.66 :confused:

If you click on the link on the right 'This product on Taobao.com' you get a product not found message :(
Looking at the listing again, there is a shipping weight mentioned, so I'm guessing they are selling just an image?
I must resist the temptation of bargain amps, I must resist the temptation of .....................

hmm. Buyer beware! I tried to order throught that page but my payment got bumped to a different site and now they're trying to 'upsell' me on the shipping.

Buyer beware!

Yes it happened to me but I was buying other stuff too. They said that the actual shipping weight was more than quoted on the site for the items and consequently the shipping charges would be more. I had the option to cancel but I agreed to pay the extra as the total amount was still reasonable. As it turned out they refunded some of it as they'd over-estimated the total weight.

I believe they're quite honest and the 'Live Support' people speak good English and are really helpful. My order was well packed and sent tracked with all the correct forms for customs. I would confidently buy from them again :)
Hope this helps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.