Bridging LM1875 into 4Ohms design with Forced fan Cooling ... Possible?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Chip Amps

Chip Amps Amplifiers based on integrated circuits

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2013, 02:24 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Bridging LM1875 into 4Ohms design with Forced fan Cooling ... Possible??

Need help here ... i am helping a friend of mine to design an LM1875 Bridged amp X4 ... which means will use total of 8 LM1875's ... my friend wanted to use this amp for 4ohms speaker (bridged configuration) ... and the design will use force fan cooling total of 8 cooling Fans ... (4 blowing and 4 exhaust) ... will this able to handle 4 ohm in bridge mode?

thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:42 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Getting four paralleled amps stable isn't an easy job - why this approach? Why not a single LM3886 (for example)? What's the power requirement and are the fans being used instead of heatsinks?
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Btw is not a paralled but a bridged LM1875 ... i cant Find LM3886 in my place ... so this is the alternative ... my friend say he dont mind having a very large heatsink for this amp as we used cooling fan to cool the heatsink as much as possible

Anyway i have a 4channel LM1875 DIY ... tried to bridged them into 8ohms with no problems at all ... i wonder if it is 4ohms the IC will run into thermal protection if it overheats ... as if i am not mistaken these IC's have thermal cut off ...

Last edited by dannyjmf; 3rd June 2013 at 02:54 PM. Reason: extra notes
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:03 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Location: Hangzhou - Marco Polo's 'most beautiful city'. 700yrs is a long time though...
Send a message via MSN to abraxalito Send a message via Yahoo to abraxalito Send a message via Skype™ to abraxalito
Ah, I see - apologies for my misunderstanding. So there are 4 channels - well the 1875s will 'see' a 2R load when bridged which they won't take too kindly to. Whether it thermally overheats will depend mainly on the supply voltages, then on the music you play and probably after that, on the heatsinking. Certainly you'll get worse distortion with 2R load but whether it will be audible is debatable.
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:28 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

well ... since this project is confirmed to be build soon ... i will let u know later ....
Old 3rd June 2013, 06:45 PM   #6
Bone is offline Bone  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

A parallel bridge may work. This would work into 4 ohms. Also uses 4 1875s could give you about 100w
Old 5th June 2013, 12:00 PM   #7
JMFahey is offline JMFahey  Argentina
diyAudio Member

Once you get into that level of complexity, chipamps lose attractive, I'd go discrete .
Plus they limit you a lot, specially on PSU voltage.
Once you start *needing* to bridge + parallel them to meet a power output goal, in my book it means you are going way beyond what was originally expected from them.
Just saying.
Old 6th June 2013, 05:13 PM   #8
blu_glo is offline blu_glo  England
diyAudio Member

I second that, JMFahey, is less complicated to go discrete. Theres only one chip that really lends itself to 4 ohm bridging - the aforementioned LM3886 - would still limit around 120W.....
Old 7th June 2013, 02:06 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Excuse my intromision, but what about the parallel TDA 7293 ?
I{m just about finishing one to use it with a 4 ohm load.
Would it be a better solution, or not?
Old 7th June 2013, 02:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes, TDA7293 is the easiest solution for a bridged chipamp into 4ohms. With 4 chips you'll be looking at a maximum power over 200W.

Hide this!Advertise here!